Spokane brewers I need some help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rooster60

Reaction score
I will be doing my first AG this month. I was wondering what kind of treatments do I need for Spokane's city water. Any advice will help. Thanks

Jims = Boo, just saying.

Im sure you can find a city water report somewhere. Im on a well so Im not of much help.

You haven't indicated what you'll be brewing.
No matter really though, as the only batch I've modified water for here was a british bitter, added a bit of gypsum. Everything else has been right out of the tap on the northside.
For your first batch on all grain, I wouldn't worry about spokane city water. Dozens of 10 gallon batches in, and I've yet to get my system to a point where I'm worried much about modifying water - I've other areas of my brewery with more pressing needs. If you're brewing this month, I'd be more worried about subzero temperature as a high for multiple days. Makes temp control a bit tough both for brewing and fermentation. You'll get much more off-flavor from off-temps than you will from water here.
Hope that helps

I'll be brewing in my 40 degree garage today, wish me luck with my temps!

Nice, good luck. Looks like we're not going to get quite the cold snap they had predicted, should help out. Main thing for me is fermentation temp control. I do lose a few more degrees out of the mash tun when it's 20 degrees outside, but I let the heat go in my house overnight. I ferment in my basement, which is usually pretty steady in the low to mid 60's. Overnight when it's below 30 degrees I suspect it's dropping to mid 50's down there. Not ideal for fermentation, particularly the swings.

ya luckily it was warmer yesterday than predicted. Iv never had a problem with fermentation and ill effects from cooling swings. I couldnt find the heater I normally use in my fermentation room yesterday so I used one that was nearly identical. I woke up thismorning to find the room at 95. Guess I will just tell people its a fruit beer instead of a dead guy spin off. ;)

Back