Chrome plated copper tubing..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it would be safe to make a dip-tube for my bottling bucket out of a piece of chrome plated copper tubing that I have laying around?

I am by no means a chemical engineer or a metallurgist, but my gut tells me no on this...

I am sure there are some people with much more technical expertise that will speak up...

I. found a threaded pvc elbow at Menards that screwed onto my bottling bucket spigots threads perfectly.

I. found a threaded pvc elbow at Menards that screwed onto my bottling bucket spigots threads perfectly.

That sounds awesome, but I don't have a Menards here. Could you post a pic of it? Maybe I can find one at Lowes or Home Depot...

Ramitt, I think I may have found the elbow you're talking about on the Lowes website.. I'm guessing it must be a 3/4 elbow? Does the larger inside diameter cause any problems with picking up the liquid once it gets to the bottom of the bucket?

Ramitt, I think I may have found the elbow you're talking about on the Lowes website.. I'm guessing it must be a 3/4 elbow? Does the larger inside diameter cause any problems with picking up the liquid once it gets to the bottom of the bucket?

Nope, this is what I use in my bottling bucket, it leaves nothing more than a thin film of wort on the bottom. Looks like this, but one side is female threaded.
90.jpg

I put the bottling bucket washer, and nut on, then thread this on, only about 1.5 turns, but it fits.

Yep that is it. I have only run water through it, but it only leaves a small amount behind, for me about 8 ounces, which I intened to poor in a glass and drink after bottling. The bottlers share?

Thanks guys! I found a 3/4 to 1/2 elbow very similar to the one pictured above. I put it on and did a test run with water, and it did great. Ramitt I think it left even less than 8oz in my bucket. I'd say about 3 or 4oz.. That's a great result! :mug:

Back