Natural Fertilizers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketear

Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to make a good organic/natural liquid fertilizer to use with my vines? I don't want to by anything, because the only stuff available around me is all the chemical nonsense.

Cheers,
Jeff

I live on Long Island so there are lots of places to go Salt Water fishing. After I clean my catch I take the entrails and liquify them up in an old blender I keep in the shed. I take some of the liquid fish guts and fill a tupperware bowl with small rope in the middle and into the garage freezer it goes to make chum on a rope (I throw it overboard, tie it to a cleat and let it melt in the water. It works great for Bluefish or Shark). The rest goes to my wife for use as liquid fertilizer for her garden.

Start a compost heap, you can use it to mulch your plants, or make a sort of "compost tea" from it & use that to water your plants on a regular basis. The only drawback is the time it tkaes you to get compost suitable to make the tea from; assuming you're starting the heap from scratch. I know you said you don't want to buy anything due to the chemicals, but there really are some good all organic, natural products out there. You might find some useful info here: Fertilizer, worms, household waste composting, worm composting, red worms for composting Or you might try making fish emulsion fert from self caught fish like carp, you can catch carp all day long & people will thank you for it. Regards, GF.

Hop plants need huge amounts of nitrogen and it is tough to make a compost that can meet their requirements. Kitchen scrapes probably wouldn't do the trick. Composted manure works best.

On a related note, does anyone here know how clover partitions it's nitrogen, i.e. what is the ratio of nitrogen in leafy parts to the roots. I always mulch my hops with white clover but I don't actually grow white clover over the hops. I can't find too much concerning this.
sorry for the hijack
-Ander

Latest posts

Back