Visible fermentation well into the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdufford

Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone ever had their carboy still bubbling well into the secondary? I had this beer two weeks in the primary beforehand, and it's going on 2 weeks in the carboy now. It bubbles every 45 seconds or so.

It had a relatively modest starting gravity too, about 1.048. It was 1.011 when I transferred. Do I just have super healthy yeast or what?

Thanks!

Did you take a Hydrometer reading before you went from Primary to Secondary? Or did you just go to Secondary because the directions said 2 weeks? It may have not been finished Fermenting....

Either there is some small amount of fermentables left for the yeast to munch on, or the transfer is causing some dissolved C02 to be degassed from the beer. Either way it is a good thing because it is extra insurance against outside air getting in!

Either there is some small amount of fermentables left for the yeast to munch on, or the transfer is causing some dissolved C02 to be degassed from the beer. Either way it is a good thing because it is extra insurance against outside air getting in!

Really? Almost two weeks since transfer and CO2 is still degassing?

Yes I guess I shouldn't have said because of the transfer. Anything could be causing it...slight change in temperature of the room, change in barometric pressure, something bumping into it, etc. I am not saying this is definitely the case, just brainstorming a bit!

I have a porter that I am making which i added coconut to the secondary for flavoring. It looks like it invigorated the fermentation as it bubbles once every 5 minutes. Should i wait until there is no activity before i keg it?

probably pressure/temp changes causing degassing.

Is yeast settling out yet? is it clearing? or is it still churning a bit?

probably pressure/temp changes causing degassing.

Is yeast settling out yet? is it clearing? or is it still churning a bit?

Oh yeah, it's quite clear and there is a thick layer of yeast at the bottom. Never thought of it being already dissolved Co2 degassing...I didn't think there could be any dissolved Co2 from the primary fermentation and thought it all escaped out the airlock.

Take another hydro reading today. I bet it's still 1.11 and the bubbling has nothing to do with fermentation.

Back