Venting steam from across the room - need ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
So i've been brewing on my electrical setup for a few weeks now and all is wonderful. Except for the steam...

here is the layout of my apartment

one-jefferson-onejsfp03-1bed-1bath-721sf.gif

i brew in 2 keggles in the kitchen, which is very nice for spills, clean up, etc. However, the vent above the stove just goes through a filter and vents back into the kitchen and there are no windows built into that side of the apartment because it's built into a hill.

So i have the front door and the windows next to it to vent out to, however, being across the room. That isn't very easy. and seeing as i don't want to drip brewing liquids on a white carpet i can't brew in the front room next to that window...

is there an easy way to get rid of steam like this? after about 30 minuites, there is a steamy haze on my ceiling that is interesting looking, but i'm sure is not doing good things...

could it possibly be that i need to now brew next to the window with a fan? i just don't want to lug my keggles around as they are heavy

I'm not well versed in air-flow mechanics, but I can tell you that you're not going to have an easy answer here. Putting a bunch of fans in the window to draw air out would help, but with no air being pulled in from the wall by the dining room, you're not going to get a lot of movement. One solution - get a big box fan for the window and use it to pump air out of the apartment. Get another fan with some flexible duct, like they use to ventilate manholes and confined spaces, and use that to pump air into your kitchen. That should create decent flow out of the kitchen area.

Or, put a towel on a pole and wipe off the ceilings after every brew and hope the mold doesn't start to grow until after you move out.

Latest posts

Back