Water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
Ok I am going to do my first brew tomorrow. I have not found much about water on here. I have read that water hardness is important and I should add Gypsum to it to do this. The only brew supply store in town said no don't worry about it. I have 2 options. I can use just basic city water and boil it before I use it or I can use an RO/DI filter to purify it. If I run it thru the RO unit it will have like zero hardness So shouldn't I have to use gypsum to do it that way? The local guy says no but I want to be sure. So which option would be better? Just boil city water to use or use RO water with no gypsum? I'm probably overthinking this I just want to have all bases covered.

First thing, if your water tastes fine, your beer will turn out fine. AS far as ro, are you doing all grain, then you will need to add, extract you don't nerd to worry about.

Don't worry about it now don't use RO get your process down and make sure to sanitize! look at water after you can handle a easy brew day.

All gain or extract? If you are worried about your city water you can request a water report from the city, I was able to just email the city water engineer and had an answer in less than 10 minutes.

I'm definitely not doing all grain. Just an easy kit from the local brew store. I'm sensitive to water quality probably because I do fish tanks as another hobby. So basically just use tap water to brew with and don't worry about whats in it?

Water profile can be an important factor in beer quality, especially for particular styles. You should get a municipal water report so you know what you're working with. Looks like Hillsboro is a really small place but if you are on municipal water I bet someone knows what's in it. Otherwise get a water analysis done. Or just brew with RO and add the minerals you want--I just started using the EZ Water Calculator and find it very simple to use. Mineral additions take just a few seconds.

It's true there are lots of other important things to think about when you are a new brewer so getting into water adjustments might be something to put off until later. Having said that, it's a simple thing to do that can help improve your beer.

Latest posts

Back