Overshot mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakai84

Reaction score
I'm just curious here if my mash is in jeopardy. I overshot my mash temp at around 162. I feel like I got it down to 153 quick enough that I might be okay. Took about 10 minutes of a little cold water and vigorous stirring. Any confirmations that I might be alright?

I am not expert - however I often overshoot my mash temps ;) - but I have read it takes about 20 minutes to denature your enzymes, so I think your quick thinking and stirring should have "saved" your batch. At worse it will be a bit sweeter tasting beer.

I am not expert - however I often overshoot my mash temps ;) - but I have read it takes about 20 minutes to denature your enzymes, so I think your quick thinking and stirring should have "saved" your batch. At worse it will be a bit sweeter tasting beer.

Yep...done that too. It's easier to lower than raise for sure..... depending upon the beer, that additional sweetness might just be the magic touch you were looking for. I too think you will be fine...like sikkingj, I've done it and been OK.

Awesome. Yeah this saison was looking to be a bit on the hoppier side so maybe a little more sweetness won't hurt, if that does happen. Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back