No signs of fermentation, what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I brewed a cream ale on Saturday. Cooled it to room temperature in about 15/20 minutes. Aerated it by stirring it for some time with a sanitized brew paddle.

Pitched a vial of WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend. Did not make a yeast starter because of time constraints. Left it out for 3ish hours before pitching to bring it up to room temp, shook it up, and dumped it in. Stirred it in also.

Expected OG for the beer was 1.048, got 1.052 (accrediting high efficiency to improved brewing technique - 1.9qts/lb mash, 168 degree sparge, slow draining speed despite batch sparging)

So, it is now 8pm (central) Tuesday night...no bubbles whatsoever, airlock remains the same as the day I set it in the basement to ferment. Sits at about 67 degrees.

What do I do? Add Yeast nutrient? Any suggestions? I am starting to worry a bit!

I wouldn't add anything. You could just as well have a seal leak in the fermenter or the airlock grommet that allows CO2 to bypass the airlock.

If you have a refractometer, take a gravity reading. If you don't, let it ride a bit longer before worrying.

Nutrient is almost certainly not needed.

Have you smelled it yet?

Giving advice I received very recently. Take a gravity reading to see if anything has happened.

I had no outward sign of fermentation based on blowoff tube/air lock in my current batch but in ~54 hours it dropped from 1.046 to 1.020.

Back