Grain preparation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midget

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a reason to not preheat the grain, say in an oven, to the proper temperature so that you do not need to fiddle with temperature calculators?

I don't see why you couldn't although it's hard to get most ovens below 150F.....you are also usually dealing with quite a large volume of grain. Seems easier to just target 162-165 for strike and cool with ice or water if required. You have about 10 minutes before the grains are thoroughly wetted for enzyme activity to adjust your temp.

Does anyone know if there is a reason to not preheat the grain, say in an oven, to the proper temperature so that you do not need to fiddle with temperature calculators?

If you are talking about heating the grain to 150 degree range I would say that by the time it gets there I think you would have toasted it a bit and changed the flavor profile.

I use Beersmith 2 and now have dialed it in so that I am usually within a couple of degrees so just a touch more hot water or a couple of minutes stirring then it is time to close it up and wait.

If you are talking about heating the grain to 150 degree range I would say that by the time it gets there I think you would have toasted it a bit and changed the flavor profile.

I use Beersmith 2 and now have dialed it in so that I am usually within a couple of degrees so just a touch more hot water or a couple of minutes stirring then it is time to close it up and wait.

I agree that the risk of toasting the grains and changing the flavor profile would be a larger concern than the minimal amount of time being saved or temperature being adjusted for the mash

Thank you for your responses! The thought had just popped into my head while I was on the way home from work.

there are a plethora of online calculators. I find using those easier than heating grain in the oven. You would still have to get a precise temperature of strike water, and would have to be more precise in the temperature of that.

Back