Is a starter necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradzukie

Reaction score
Im out of town for the next month, and my wife will be brewing an IIPA tomorrow and we have 3 jars of yeast that I washed a week ago. We don't have any dme or anything like that to make a starter. So my question is, can she just dump the jars of yeast in the fermenter and shake it up and call it good? Will this work or will I be wasting good yeast?

hard to say without knowing how much yeast you have. three typical jars might have 50 ml or yeast, so that gives you 150ml which sounds like plenty. but it is hard to say without more details, since 'jar of yeast' is not a standard measurement :) also we don't know how well washed it is, if there is trub, etc.

If by jar you mean mason jar I'm sure you're fine. Even smaller ones it sounds like you probably have enough.

They are 3 half filled big mason jars. Washed very well. I would say there's no trub in there either. Ill tell her to go for it.

That's probably too much yeast. I generally pitch about the quarter of the yeast from a batch for the next batch. I make no difference between 1 day or 1 month; it seems to work out fine.

Ok. Then ill go with 2. Im anticipating this og to be around 1.080

Mrmalty.com has a tab for using yeast slurry. You can input your numbers including the date and get an idea of how much you should use.

Back