Oh no! Foam!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BesteBrew

Reaction score
So me and some buddies were drinking some Yards Love Stout on nitro the other day. The head on the glass was truly a thing of beauty. Creamy and lasted all the way down to the last drop. But i did notice something my friend was doing that i am sure we have all done at some point during a keg party. He wiped his finger on his nose to get some face grease on there and then stuck it in the glass and swirled it around to kill the head. I didnt say anything because i really dont like it when i come off as a beer snob. This is something the big boys have got most of us believing that head is a bad thing, and one of the first things i discovered when i first got into good beers was that head is often desirable. Anyone around ever notice people doing things to beer that makes you cringe?

I take such opportunities to give people a micro-lesson in beer and brewing. Usually I find they're interested but I'm not sure about the nose thing. Maybe ask if he was trying to pick his nose and add something else to his beer to make a BExC clone! (Blue, Ex, Cdn)

B

My neighbors had a friend over who seemed to really enjoy the brown ale I had on tap. I thought it wasn't very good and I was planning on dumping the rest of the keg. I told the guy to help himself to as much as he liked. I caught him in my garage, trying to fill an empty Busch Light can off the picnic tap. There was a puddle on the floor and a bewildered look on his face. I asked if he was doing what I thought he was. He said yes and asked if I could help. I proceeded to take two plastic cups off the top of the beer fridge, fill them for him, and send him back next door.

a little head is ok I suppose, but I really tend to try my best to keep it down! I don't like drinking thick foamy bubbly head, as it tends to fill my belly with air, and it feels like the foam doesn't go down, because I can't burp it out...then I feel bloated and full, and can't enjoy any more beer!

I had a buddy that came over and wanted to try one of the first extract batches I had ever made. They were bottle conditioned, so I was pouring it slowly into the glass so as not to disturb the bottom.

Being a self-proclaimed 'beer expert', he made the comment, 'Pour that stuff in there, I WANT it! That's the best part!'

I tried to explain but just laughed as he grabbed the bottle and shook every last chunk in the glass. His face after the first drink was priceless.

I was at Zum Schneider (a small German beirgarten) here in NYC andhad someone do that once. The wife and I were drinking and as usually happened we all started chatting. At one point the guy tells us "You know how to get rid of the head?" and does the same gross nose wipe thing. I wanted to vomit. It worked, but it's disgusting.

I too don't like a lot of head. A little is nice, but it really pisses me off big time when I'm paying $8 for a beer and get 12oz of beer and 4oz of head, I feel totally ripped off. Not to mention the head often tastes metallic and tart. So I usually ask for them to not give me too much foam. I've been beer connoisseuring for over 12 years now so I know I know... the head is often very desirable. Just not for me. Again, a little is often complimentary, I just don't like the typical german grosse blume's. :D

Rev.

A friend of mine was always interested in trying my homebrew but after like 3 different attempts he decided he didnt like homebrewed beer. I found out he was drinking it straight from the bottle. Told him the correct way to pour and now he wont stop asking about it. I guess it was my fault for not telling him in the first place.

I always wonder if the people that do this would lick their finger afterward ? I mean, the nose oil is gonna get in your beer and you'll be drinking the beer, why not skip the middle man ?

Back