Old 7 CF Frigidaire Keezer Build 2x12 Collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f0xtr0t

Reaction score
I bought an old 7 CF Frigidaire chest freezer from a co-worker for $75 bucks. I can fit 3 ball locks on the floor and 1 on the hump with a 20# co2 tank. I have been working on this for 2 days. I never have stained anything so I messed it up and had to sand off my first attempt. I also forgot to take pictures of the whole process so I have a few from when I stopped and took a break.

Keezertempcontroller1.jpg

This is what I started with. (Only picture I have of the unmolested freezer.)

Keezer1.jpg

This is after I painted the freezer with appliance paint. You cant tell from the pics but I sanded this thing down with my angle grinder and I did a horrible job.

Keezer2.jpg

If I had to do it over again I would not try to miter the corners. It was a pain to get everything square and I had to cope the inside of my corners out. Plus I had huge gaps. Also I burned out a set of brushes on my saw trying to bevel the 2x12. I cut the hole for the temp controller by marking the area and drilling 4 holes in the corners. I then took my jig saw to it and cut the knockout. I am using the Minwax one step mahogany polyurethane/stain for this. I never stained anything so I thought it went on like paint. Well this picture is after I took the angle grinder and flap wheel to it and took all the old stain from it.

Keezer3.jpg

This picture is right after I welded the casters to the bottom. I bought 2 brake casters for 6 bucks a piece from a local metal supply shop. I noticed harbor freight has on sale for $10 a mini furniture dolly. So I got 4 more swivel casters for $2.50 each.

keezer4.jpg

This is my final picture. I have siliconed my inside corners and I put weather stripping on the bottom of the collar. I used construction adhesive to secure the lid to the top of the collar. I threw away the old gasket and took the plastic inside liner that holds the insulation in and tucked it inside the lip of the lid. The hinges are attached to the collar so the lid lifts out of the way. The lid will stay up by it self without a prop rod but this is with out any taps yet so who knows by the time I'm finished.

I drilled the hole for the temp controller slightly to big. I am going to fix this by modifying a socket face plate to hold the controller so that it hides the gap.

Well this is how far I've gotten tonight. I still need to get taps and run gas lines, wire in the temp controller, drip tray and various other things. The wife wants a treadmill so this is going to take me a while. I think until I can save the cash to buy the taps and manifold I'll be at this stage for a while.

I have a question though to those that have secondary manifolds do you often dial in the co2 to each beer? I seem to only use about 30 PSI for Hefeweizen and then 13 PSI for everything else. Should I get one more regulator and a manifold or do 4 secondary regulators.

Back