Free's for Me!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Fellas, the Beer Gods are smiling on me! In the past month I've been given 2 fridges & 4 cornies for free.:ban: Went to Listermann's on Friday and picked up the temp controller. The fridge I got today is immaculate and probably will be my kegerator. The one I got a month ago is a wee bit funky. It sat turned off for about a year with food in it and the door closed. My brother-in-law cleaned it up really good and it's been in my garage with the door open for about a month & no bad odors. I'm going to clean it good with some oxyclean and spray the whole thing down with iodophor. Do you think it'll get stanky when I shut the door again? Maybe try a little baking soda? Finally, temp control for my Ales and soon maybe Lagers.:)

Some guys are just lucky! Baking soda should do the trick. Also, charcoal will absorb odors. I want a chest freezer. Some of the rigs I have seen on this forum are awesome!

First of all, congrats on the luck!
Ridge Runner said:
The one I got a month ago is a wee bit funky. It sat turned off for about a year with food in it and the door closed.
Secondly, that is disgusting. I can't believe someone would forget food for that long. But' I'm sure you can clean it up and make it smell neutral, the backing soda should help a lot. At least it was free.
Now get to work, you've got a kegerator to make and beer to keg!

Iordz said:
Secondly, that is disgusting. QUOTE]
Yes it is disgusting and no I didn't open the door. My brother-in-law buys distressed properties and rehabs them, hence funky fridge. I think i'm going to name them Beauty & the Beast.

Ridge Runner said:
My brother-in-law buys distressed properties and rehabs them, hence funky fridge.
That makes sense, but hey you got it for free, so it's a good deal. Good luck with the fridge!:mug:

I wouldn't even try with the stinky fridge. Go check out the Mythbusters episode where they left a dead pig in a car for a month. The disassembled the car, cleaned with every compound known to man, and even got some stuff they use to clean up a nasty crime scene. No joy...

A guy I went to high school had a similar experience when he bought a cheap but great looking car that had been used in a suicide/homicide/whatever. He ended up re-selling the car (also cheap) and swore that the smell had been absorbed/was coming from the metal.

EDIT: Did I mention that I sell odor removers (www.OdorDestroyer.com)?? There are just some things that are easier to replace than to remediate.

Even sometimes the things you get for free aren't worth a damn. I'd pass on the stank fridge, that just sounds nasty.

Other than that, sounds like a nice score!

It's easy to naysay...

I say give it a try. What have you got to lose except a few hours of cleanong time? You can always give it away if it doesn't work out.

Good luck!

Back