lagering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourbrews

Reaction score
I've brewed my first lager (Oktoberfest) and have a few post-fermentation, lagering questions.

After my d-rest, I racked to secondary and put in the temp-regulated freezer Each day dropping it a few degrees until 34 deg. where it's sitting now. The purpose of lagering is to 'clean' the beer for purity/clarity, etc. Now, my question is this: After I'm done with my lagering phase, I have to pick the carboy up out of the freezer, how do I do so without shaking up the trub. Surely this has been done before so I'm guessing it may not be a huge issue, but I just wanted to be 100% sure. This beer is shaping up VERY nice.

Just put the carboy whereever you will rack from and let it sit for 30 min or say after moving. Everything will settle out again. But if you carry it carefully, it should be fine. Ive carried a dopplebock across my house w/o disturbing the trub after lagering

Back