Dry hopping well after tapping keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_E

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I brewed the Bell's Two-hearted clone a month or so ago. It came out fantastic!!! Unfortunately I've never had anything from Bell's, but what I came up with is a damn good IPA either way, whether it tastes like the original or not.

Anyway, it's been decided that I'm having a NYE party. The keg's about 1/3 to 1/2 gone, but I'd like to save the rest for the party, since it's so good and just in case I have issues with anything I'm fermenting currently.

The question is, the hop aroma has begun to fade, and the hop bill wasn't a whole lot for an IPA anyway. I'm thinking of dry hopping in a half ounce or so in a hop bag around Christmas to "refresh" the hop aroma before NYE. Does anyone see any issues with this?

No, I just did that myself. I had two kegs of a (supposed to be) hoppy beer, and it was good but it was lacking. I just dryhopped the other keg. You can use a stainless "tea ball", the large size that holds about .5 ounce of leaf hops, or the hops bags that are tightly woven to hold either leaf hops or pellet hops.

Dryhopping "works" faster at room temperature, but it will work either way. If you're doing it at room temperature, hopping a week before serving would work out great. If you're dryhopping at fridge/kegerator temps, then do it sooner rather than later.

Just purge the gas, remove the lid, gently drop the hops in, and cover and add the gas. Purge once or twice, to get rid of the 02, but then don't purge after that if you don't really need to because you don't want the hop aromatics to blow off!

Thanks Yooper. I figured it'd be fine. I hadn't thought about the fact that I'll be dry hopping at fridge temps though. I'll do it sooner.

Back