LME / DME combo in recipes...why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jubilee

Reaction score
The more I get into brewing, the more recipes I read, and the more I see extract recipes with both LME and DME. Why?

I think I understand the pros and cons of LME and DME, but have no idea why a recipe would ask for both. :confused:

It is what somebody had on hand?

Otherwise , scalingmay account for a recipe being adjusted using dme if the scaler feels that DME is more easily calculated.

Some old recipes called for cans of extract, before you could measure it out exactly. In those cases you often see 3.3 pounds of LME, plus an amount of DME to make up the difference. Also, it could be that the person likes using DME at the beginning of the boil to reduce darkening or they like using it as a late addition to avoid having to remove the kettle from the heat as you would with LME to avoid scorching. There are a number of reasons.

LME is usually sold in 3.3# cans....DME can be bought in varying weights, 1#, 3#, 5# ect...it is an easy way to achieve the exact amount of extract you want...

Sounds reasonable. I've got great HB shops near me with rapid turnover of their LME, so I haven't thought about purchasing it in cans. Makes sense regarding the darkening issue as well. Thanks guys. :mug:

Back