Dry Hop trub issues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpatrol

Reaction score
So I have this IPA going that I racked to a secondary and then dry hopped with an ounce each of Amarillo and Cascade pellets. Been going for about 6 days and smells great. Was going to keg today but I can't get the hop matter to fall to the bottom along. I have lightly whirlpooled a couple times these past days and it seems to fall but then an hour later it has pretty much resurfaced. I usually use a hop bag and then end up losing the bag due to swelling and expansion so I tried just dumping them right in this time.

Anyone have any crafty ideas for racking without getting too much hop matter in the final product? I was thinking of making a "meth pipe" with a little chore boy in the end of the racking cane but figure it would only clog.

You might try putting a sanitized hop bag (have some spares sanitized for when the first one gets full) on the end of your racking cane/ pipe. You can tie it onto the hose/pipe if you like, but keep an eye on the bag so it doesn't get too full.

One thing I've done in the past is attach a sanitized mesh hops bag or any type of mesh bag to the end of the siphon tubing that goes into the keg. Attach the bag with a sanitized plastic zip tie. Try to attach it so the majority of the bag is below the zip tie so it will siphon into and through the bag without clogging.

Hope that makes sense.

I tie a sanitized hop bag around the bottom of my racking cane and give it a little slack down there so that the hop bag catches the hop particles before they go in your keg.

Works well for me.

Back