what is fumaric acid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
SWMBO wanted me to try to make a cran-grape wine. I figured the simplest way to start would be kinda like grape juice wine. I have a bottle of Wal-Mart brand Cran-Grape and it has fumaric acid in it. Before I go out and get 5 gallons of this stuff is this going to be a problem?

I agree...sounds like a mild acid blend (probably a hella cheap one since its Wal-Mart). shouldn't be an issue since its unrelated to sorbate preservatives.

Funny, I just picked up 5gals of Walmarts cran-grape. Tastes pretty good. I also was caution about the fumaric acid but a quick google search said what malkore said - seems like nothing at all to worry about. i also landed on an article that stated that some wine brewers intentionally add it.

btw: 5gals ran me $25 - would have been a little cheaper if they had more than 3 1-gal bottles left.

wal-mart juices can make decent wines, unless you wait too late to add the potassium sorbate and end up with 5g almost vinegar :(

Hello,
Is this the same for brewing cider?
I have some pink cranberry juice I want to ferment but it has fumeric acid.

Hello,
Is this the same for brewing cider?
I have some pink cranberry juice I want to ferment but it has fumeric acid.

Yes, it’s not a preservative that will inhibit the pitched yeast. It’s sorbates and benzoate that you really need to avoid. Even the sodium/potassium sulfites that are used are ok, as it’s the same as the campden tablets we use sometimes to sanitize a must with, just let it sit in a open container (covered with towel) to gas out overnight.

Back