What size tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tank should be certified, and should have some indented numbering and lettering that tells you exactly how big it is. What does the certification lettering/numbering say?

tank

IMG164.jpg

Looks like a 5-lb tank, and based on the fact you saw no clear markings, it might need to be hydroed when you take it for a fill. The charge shouldn't be a lot, but call around first. You might ask if they will provide you a loaner tank if the hydro takes a bit.

If it's not filled, I'd try to swap it for an aluminum tank with a newer date on it. If it is filled, you don't want to place it on it's side like that. CO2 can flow into the valve and cause issues, not something that is advised (by any means). When empty, it's no issue though.

Ok thanks I was thinking the same I found to spots that fill co2 one swaps the other fills .

2012-06-23 10.18.57.jpg

Looks rough, but for only $125 it's not a bad deal. You could probably put some work into it and make it really nice.

I'd swap the first time, and once you get a good aluminum tank, get it filled. Of course, that depends on the cost difference between. I can get a 5# tank filled for $10. Since I purchased a new tank with my first kit there was no way I was going to swap it for an old/nasty looking (and doubly steel) tank.

Golddiggie said:
I can get a 5# tank filled for $10. Since I purchased a new tank with my first kit there was no way I was going to swap it for an old/nasty looking (and doubly steel) tank.

Same here. $10 fill, 20 or so for a hydro.

Nice... It's also funny how a 10# tank costs $12 to fill, and a 20# costs me $17 to fill. :D :mug:

The co2 costs almost nothing, it is the storefront, labor, insurance, trucking etc that they have to cover.

They figure once they have taken time to hook it up......don't matter so much how much it takes.

The co2 costs almost nothing, it is the storefront, labor, insurance, trucking etc that they have to cover.

They figure once they have taken time to hook it up......don't matter so much how much it takes.

I know... I also find it funny that some places will try to charge more to swap out tanks than you can get them filled for. It doesn't take long to fill the tanks. I think it took a few minutes (total time) to get my 20# tank filled. Of course, they used a compressor to fill it. This is a fire extinguisher place (services them among other things), so they need the equipment to recharge CO2 type extinguishers.

Yes they want I think 25 for a swap. But hopefully I will get a aluminum tank .

Golddiggie said:
How does the replacement look? Is it aluminum??

Because your beer tastes better with co2 out of an aluminum tank?

Seriously though, I would rather store large amounts of compressed gas in a steel tank rather than aluminum for safety reasons.

What am I missing here?

How does the replacement look? Is it aluminum??

No they gave another steel one but it looks a lot better hydro date was 1 12 and the valve looks brand new unlike the one I had.I might get a aluminum one maybe a 10lb one I keep checking craigslist and ebay to see if I find one cheap.

Back