Yeast and Pickles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thought that might get your attention. So, I decided to finally wash some yeast and while I was at the Wally-world, trying to decide what to do with those extra jars, I had a wonderful idea... behold:

Yeast_and_Pickles.jpg

That's 1056 on the left, Pacman in the middle (who says it's available only from time to time) and of course - pickles!

I can't wait to pickle our okra this summer. You can eat fried okra every day for only so long!

Got a recipe for your Brine you chose?

I put:

7 peppercorns
7 fennel seeds
1/4 t celery flakes
1/4 t minced garlic
1/2 t dried dill weed

in each 8 oz. jar along with 1/3 of a "hothouse cucumber" in each jar. I soaked the sliced cucumbers in ice water for 15 min prior to "canning".

The brine is:

3 C water
1 C vinegar
2 T kosher salt
1/4 t table sugar

I boiled the brine for 10 min and then immediately dumped into the jars and capped them. Tried some tonight actually - 72 hours later. Pretty good. Next time I'll drop the vinegar back to 3/4 C and bump the dried dill to 3/4 t. Other than that, I can't wait to try them on some burgers tomorrow night.

EDIT: The jar by itself, I left the celery flakes out and substituted the same amount with crushed red pepper flakes

Back