Can I make a braggot with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liquisky

Reaction score
Hi all,

I found, from my Mr Beer days, a can of "Mr. Beer Unhopped Malt Extract, Pale Export." Also says on can, "Makes approx 2 gallons, net weight 19.4 ounces (550 Grams).

I have 12 lbs of raw mesquite honey, 6 lbs of orange blossom, raw, heated only to liquefy.

I was thinking of making a gallon braggot, but I've never made one before.

I was hoping that you guys could suggest a recipe. I have Lalvin D47 and 1118 yeasts on hand as well as Potassium Carbonate, fermaid K, DAP, and "yeast energizer" (from Northernbrewer).

I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks

never used a Mr. Beer, but sounds like if you take the extract, and 3 or 4# of the Mesquite honey....you're in business.

I'd save the orange Blossom for 2 gallons of show mead...cause orange blossom honey is like the perfect honey for show mead!

I would try the extract, 2 lbs of mesquite honey, a teaspoonful of energizer & the D47, if you are shooting for 1 gallon. That gives you about 40% malt.

I have some leaf cascade hops.

So the question is, to hop, or not to hop.

Is traditional braggot hopped?

If you hop, boil the extract, lightly hop for flavor, then let it cool down to around 120, add the honey, cool to pitching temp and pitch the yeast.
I would not want to add too much bitterness, but just a little flavor (.25 oz at the most for 20-30 minutes) might be to your taste, its up to you really.

Back