Can I make a concentrate without boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tantalar

Reaction score
Is there a way to make a fruit concentrate without boiling? I would like to make a Apple wine. Ideally I would some how manage to evaporate a lot of water out, leaving me with a thick syrupy apple juice which I would then put into a carboy with yeast and let it do its thing.

I have experimented a bit and have been thinking more and more that it would produce a more flavorful wine if I use apple sugar instead of adding other types of sugar to make it higher ABV. I am obviously trying to create a clear wine and I don't want to deal with the pectins

ummmm, you could use a rotary evaporater. really the only way to remove the water is either by heating it up or lowering the pressure (providing a vacuum) or some combination of the two. using the slow random evaporating process that occurs at room temperature is just begging problems with mold or bacteria.

why don't you want to boil it? how about just heat it up to say 180 to increase evaporation?

Use frozen apple juice concentrate? There are plenty of recipes here using apple juice/concentrate. Search the site for Apfelwein or Graff. There are a lot more out there I"m sure. If you want a sweet apple flavor, make some Apfelwein then backsweeten using a bunch of concentrate.

I certainly could use a frozen apple juice concentrate but I doubt they sell one without any added sugar. I am trying to make an apple wine without adding any non apple sugar. I don't want to boil it because id like to have a clear wine not a cloudy one.

Have you actually tried Ed Wort's award winning Apfelwien recipe or even bothered to read the recipe? It sounds like you are waaay overcomplicating something most of us have made that turns out fantastic, and if you leave it long enough it is uber clear, clear enough to read the newspaper behind the carboy.

I certainly could use a frozen apple juice concentrate but I doubt they sell one without any added sugar. I am trying to make an apple wine without adding any non apple sugar. I don't want to boil it because id like to have a clear wine not a cloudy one.

There is no added sugar in most apple juice concentrates sold frozen in your grocery store. Just buy one that says 100% concentrate or look at the ingredients. For most the only things listed are apple juice & ascorbic acid, both of which are fine in there.

Yeah I am excited to try out the Ed Wort's award winning Apfelwien recipe. I am going to have some 1 gallon jugs available soon and I was thinking I would try out a few different things including that. I was pleasantly surprised with the results of using tea in my cider and things are coming along great I am learning a lot about wine/cider. Some day I will get going on beer but that's a little bit too complicated at this moment with my resources.

Cool ill have to check out some other apple juice concentrates. The only ones they sell at the local store have added sugar in them sadly. I'm sure if I go out a ways I can find a place that sells some only apple concentrate.

Look for Tree Top brand. I've used several different frozen concentrates of theirs and none had added sugar or sorbate (which will kill your fermentation before it even starts).

ascorbic acid is OK for a preservative (most frozen concentrates seem to have it)..the liquid concentrates Welch's makes are not ok...and way pricy.

Latest posts

Back