Broke Carboy in Box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mokane54

Reaction score
I dropped my carboy with a 5 1/2 gallons all grain Chocolate Coffee Stout in a cardboard box when I transferred to the secondary after a week. I was able to scoop out half of it and bottle it. I did not add priming sugar, I'm pretty sure it was pretty close to finish fermenting. My question is, it is a awesome beer (I'm drinking it right now) I did scoop it out of a cardboard box and I want to drink it before it becomes bottle bombs, any suggestions? BTW, I am looking to get a Better Bottle.

Well, they do make plastic carboys if you're prone to dropping things...

You can also check craigslist in your area, I've found some good deals there, then there's ebay.

I'd be more concerned with bits of broken glass, if it broke.

Not really prone to dropping, but it only takes the one time. I have did drink 8 of the 12 bombers I bottled and it's to bad for the accident, it would have turned out really good. Right now it's slightly carbonated and a little sweet for obvious reasons, but it's to good to toss. I have been watching for broken glass, I'm pretty sure all the broken glass settled to the bottom. Thanks for the advise.:rockin:

You should look into the carboy carriers to help prevent it from happening again. They help lift full carboys in and out of tight places. I am not a fan of the plastic carboys but it's really just a personal preference.

+2 on the glass in beer

+1 Not worth the risk, IMO. Bummer dude.

Yeah - on "Oz" they killed a bad guy with glass that way. Please be careful.

That's a bummer, but at least there weren't any injuries from the drop.

I'm still a NOOB and use glass but learned by batch #4 to move those suckers as little as possible - every time I pick it up I get a healthy dose of jitters.

There's an app for that, Carboy handle $5.95 ;)

Those things ARE NOT meant to be used to carry a full carboy! Five gallons of beer weighs around 40 lbs... I wouldn't trust that much stress on the narrow neck of a carboy... you're just asking for a medical bill. Brew Haulers are the safest answer if you're using glass IMHO.

I wouldn't trust those handles with a full carboy either. The harness is a bit more of a pain to put on but much safer.

Back