"Old" Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinger

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question...I apologize ahead of time if I'm in the wrong area.

I started brewing 25 years ago, but I've taken a lengthy rest from it for the last five years while concentrating on my wine-making. Just prior to switching from beer to wine I purchased several different grains in bulk. I divided the bags into several sanitized 5 gal buckets, put lids on them, and stored them in my basement. These buckets have been sitting undisturbed for 5 years or so. Should I assume the grain is no longer usable, or should it be okay given the airtight, cool storage method?

Thanks for your help!

That's a pretty long time even under the best conditions.

If you really want to try it, I'd make a small mash in a container or something and see how that comes out before doing a whole batch. Maybe even make a small 1-3gal batch to see how it tastes.

I'd just assume it's not in the best shape flavor wise and make some starter wort with it. If you have a canner you could make a big batch and can it all for later use as stater wort.

I know a few guys have told me that grain can last a long, long time assuming air-tight, light-tight conditions, plus cool temps. You very well may be fine. Was the grain whole or pre-crushed? I'd wait for one of the forum big-dogs to chime in before you throw it out.

Out of curiosity, what prompted the switch to wine? Just looking for something different?

Trust your tongue. How do the grains taste? If they taste musty or flat, toss 'em. After 5 years, I'd say they are pretty much done for at this point, but you never know!

Trust your tongue. How do the grains taste? If they taste musty or flat, toss 'em. After 5 years, I'd say they are pretty much done for at this point, but you never know!

Right. Best thing I ever did was to start munching on different grains I wanted to use in recipes. Just chewing up a few kernels helped me get and idea of the underlying flavor I was going to add.

I'd imagine if your grains have absorbed any basement flavors, you'll pick them up if you give them a good chew.

Right. Best thing I ever did was to start munching on different grains I wanted to use in recipes. Just chewing up a few kernels helped me get and idea of the underlying flavor I was going to add.

Absolutely. Shame on you out there that don't taste your grain!

I have 3 and 4 year old malt that still makes a damn fine brew. I made a 10 gallon batch at the shop on Teach a Friend to Brew day with nothing but 3 year old grain and the sample at bottling was delicious. That said I had some 6 year old wheat that tasted nasty and I had to pitch it.

I have 3 and 4 year old malt that still makes a damn fine brew. I made a 10 gallon batch at the shop on Teach a Friend to Brew day with nothing but 3 year old grain and the sample at bottling was delicious. That said I had some 6 year old wheat that tasted nasty and I had to pitch it.

I've heard a number of cases where malt is good after an extended time, so my vote goes to giving it a try.

And Chupacabras: Mein leben!

Thanks for the suggestions. None of it has been crushed as of yet. I'll take your advice and taste it...if it tastes good, I'm brewing this weekend.

I took the hiatus from brewing and focused on wine for something different. My wife is more of a wino than a beer guzzler, and I've got access to some excellent grapes here in central NY. Now that I've got my wine cellar stocked, its back to the brewing!

Latest posts

Back