anybody play WOW? (world of warcraft)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
just curious. it's kind of like a big deal, and i guess over 8 million people play it, so statistics would indicate that some of you play it. i played for a bit about a year ago and quit. got back into it, now i play on the firetree p.v.p. server. i have a level 29 undead warlock.

We have a neighbor who's wife played it. She became obsessed, met an online dude and now got divorced. They have 6 kids and WoW ruined their lives.

I played it with my son, but his grades began to suffer because it's all he thought about and talked about. We've canceled the accounts and it's a banned game in my house.

The South Park WoW episode has a lot of truth to it.

I started playing everquest2 when it came out, and tried out WoW but didn't have as much fun as with EQ2. I eventually quit playing since I was putting far too much time into it. It's too easy to shrug off other responsibilities and just play a game, so it was in my best interest to just stop playing.

it would be easy to get obsessed with it. it's marketing genius in my opinon. it has a huge social aspect, it's addicting, you can't really ever "win" the game, and it never ends.

somebody had a show about wow addicts awhile back, like dr phil, or one of those guys.

i'm not too much of a gamer, so i've never had a problem getting sucked into it. i enjoy it, and have fun when i play, but i only play a few hours a week. work, family, brewing, life in general keep me busy enough. my wife has an account too, and usually we'll log on together a few hours a week, and play together. it's actually been good for our marriage, because it's something that we can both "geek out" on, and enjoy together. of course, we're both super geeks anyways, we also host a biweekly dungeons and dragons old school tabletop roll playing at my house with two GM's and 6 players.

I used to be completely obsessed with everquest, so I know how a game can suck you in. Although, when I was playing everquest, I was in the air force, single, and stuck in the middle of west texas with nothing else to do. Now, I am married with a life, and I am able to enjoy the game in moderation. I mostly play so that I can "hang out" with my good buddies from the air force that live all over the country. We have a good time. Its all about moderation.

Tried it and couldn't stand it. used my free month then walked away. If only UO was still alive and kicking...... ahh the good old days.

F no.. I pretty much hate all video games, I would rather do something out side. Why pretend to do something when you can go out side and do it?

Ryanh1801 said:
Why pretend to do something when you can go out side and do it?

Because if you actually go outside loaded up with armor and kill a bunch of people you don't like with a sword, you're not going to be allowed outside again for a LONG, LONG time.

I used to play EQ and EQ2. I looked at WOW and it just didn't have the depth I like to see in games. I don't really play anything anymore as my kids keep me too busy.

Ryanh1801 said:
F no.. I pretty much hate all video games, I would rather do something out side. Why pretend to do something when you can go out side and do it?

because everytime i go outside and kill a cocky half retarded 12 year old E-thug tha police come down on me hardcore.

brian williams said:
because everytime i go outside and kill a cocky half retarded 12 year old E-thug tha police come down on me hardcore.

Talking mainly about sports games and such. There is always paint ball though. :p

brian williams said:
we also host a biweekly dungeons and dragons old school tabletop roll playing at my house with two GM's and 6 players.

wish you where in phoenix... would luv to get back into playing d&d.

the funniest one i've seen/heard is on youtube. some kid is playing wow with the headset so he can talk/listen to the guys in his group, and his mom and dad come in and tell him it's time to go to bed, and theres like a 10 minute argument of him litterally crying, begging to stay up. it's freaking hillarious. i gotta try to find it.

here it is. it's audio only.

Last edited by a moderator:
brian williams said:
i'm not too much of a gamer, so i've never had a problem getting sucked into it. i enjoy it, and have fun when i play, but i only play a few hours a week. work, family, brewing, life in general keep me busy enough. my wife has an account too, and usually we'll log on together a few hours a week, and play together. it's actually been good for our marriage, because it's something that we can both "geek out" on, and enjoy together. of course, we're both super geeks anyways, we also host a biweekly dungeons and dragons old school tabletop roll playing at my house with two GM's and 6 players.

My wife gets together with her old college friends to play D&D every couple of weeks; I mock her incessantly for it. She used to want to get me to play, but I just can't take them seriously. Thing is, they're all normal people that I get along with fine in a non-gaming context (same with my wife ;)), it's just one of those things.... one of those things they would probably say is identical to me and my homebrewing.

For video games, this site freakin' rocks:

http://nintendo8.com.mirror.cedeen.com/

It's like every old-school, eight-bit Nintendo game, playable right within the web browser. No downloading and installing any emulators or any of that crap. I've been playing a lot of Super Mario Bros. 2, but I get bored WAY too easily for it to become a "habit."

brian williams said:
the funniest one i've seen/heard is on youtube. some kid is playing wow with the headset so he can talk/listen to the guys in his group, and his mom and dad come in and tell him it's time to go to bed, and theres like a 10 minute argument of him litterally crying, begging to stay up. it's freaking hillarious. i gotta try to find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwql6_RJ348

here it is. it's audio only.

That's some funny ****. I especially liked the <domestic abuse> subtitle

I used to play; had a 47 Dwarf Rogue on Doomhammer.

The game was a lot of fun, I just don't have enough time anymore to devote to it with school and work and other stuff i've got going on.

cnbudz said:
Exactly. I have a couple friends who became completely obsessed with it. I won't even go near that game.

I played it awhile, until I saw the obsessive tendencies (i.e. Oh s**t, it's 5 am?!? I gotta be at work in 3 hours...) rearing their heads. I love a good video game, but I had to uninstall WOW...

I played for about 2 months a while back using private servers, but both of the ones I was using sucked so I stopped. I would probably play again if I could find a good server. I'm not going to pay 15-20 bucks a month to play though!

A buddy of mine builds characters, sells them on ebay and says he makes $10k a year doing it He makes a few hundred bucks a character. At least that's my limited understanding of it... like I said I've never played the game.

He could totally be full of crap for all I know.

i'm on firetree server. it's a lightly populated P.V.P. server. me, my wife, and a few friends of mine are on there in a guild called "paper street soap company".

EdWort said:
We have a neighbor who's wife played it. She became obsessed, met an online dude and now got divorced. They have 6 kids and WoW ruined their lives.

That sent chills up my spine.

I played WoW for two years. I had a level 60 warlock with full epic gear, in a guild that was clearing BWL every week and working our way through AQ40 (never killed any bosses in Naxx unfortunately, although I was there for our attempts). During that time I also leveled a warrior, he got to 60 just before TBC came out. I switched main toons and got my warrior to 70 first. I'll get to the reason why in a moment... but soon after that I quit WoW altogether. Canceled my account. I haven't even touched it for about 4 months now.

A few months after I started playing WoW my wife started an account as well. She didn't like it as much as I did, so just as she was about to quit I mentioned the existence of Role Playing servers, where you play the character as an actor would. Little did I know that she would get sucked into it at least as much as I was, if not more! Now she spends just about every night with those big pilot-style headphones on, hands flurrying about the keyboard, completely absorbed in the game. I had to negotiate for two "date nights" per week where she would refrain from playing the game so we could spend some time together. Even then she still sometimes schedules in-game events during our date nights.

I used to be the one who stayed up til the wee hours of the morning on raids. But now she's the one staying up that late sitting around a campfire telling ghost stories or whatever they do on those RP servers. I quit WoW because I saw how pathetic it looked to an outsider that one would spend so much time to achieve an arrangement of pixels that Blizzard dreamed up. I realized for myself that I had gotten addicted and didn't have the self-control to limit my play time. I actually got into homebrewing as a hobby to fill my time so I wouldn't play WoW.

I agree it is a sinkhole for money, but a pretty fun one at that.

I used to play the old Warcraft in college...you know, the 2D version? Does that count?? :p

My older brother tries to get me to play, but my internet connection is a wifi connection from the doofuses across the street who don't know how to secure their signal. I get sucked into 1-person games easily enough. The last 3 GTA games have taken many hours of my life. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion as well. But I refuse to play MMORPG's. Not happening. I have 2 jobs, just started an LLC, I'm studying for my architect's license, I brew like a madman, I read lots of books, I have a woodworking shop, I'm renovating our house, I'm a gym rat...the only place I can find more time in my life is sleep...and if I don't get my sleep, I'm useless. The last thing I need is some useless timesuck like that.

I did meet some of them IRL! My previous job took me all over the eastern half of the US. I met several in New York City, one in Atlanta, a few from Ohio, etc.

Can't say I've ever met you, though. :fro:

ohiobrewtus said:
A buddy of mine builds characters, sells them on ebay and says he makes $10k a year doing it He makes a few hundred bucks a character. At least that's my limited understanding of it... like I said I've never played the game.

He could totally be full of crap for all I know.

No no, that's completely possible. When I quit, I thought about selling my character lvl 70, pretty nicely geared healer type. I figured I could get at least $500 for him, if not more.

closing in on 8 months of my life...stolen by this game. damn I love Warcraft!

I played WoW from the private beta onward, getting to level 60 before my best friend and guild leader was killed in a car accident. Pretty much lost all interest for about a year, when I rejoined and worked a new character up to 60 on an RP server.

Eventually, I realized that a grown man with a wife and job simply can NOT put the time needed into staying competitive in that game since it's hard to find 4-6 hours to do RAIDs and the PVP aspect has always been pointless to me. I stopped playing then.

When Burning Crusade came out, they promised all sorts of great fixes, like upgradeable items from long chains of solo questions which sounded PERFECT to me. I joined, got to 65 or so and got tired of the same old WoW.

So I'm done entirely now.

Eagerly working on leveling up in World of Brewcraft.

[youtube]xlULgi92zK8[/youtube]

I had to stop, it was nuts. Had hella fun when I did play it though. Who has seen this:

http://www.blizzard.com/us/diablo2/

Seen this or bought it, played it as all five characters (two more in expansion), beaten it, and played it extensively online about 10 years ago?

Two words: Corpse Explosion.

Quite possibly one of the best skills ever invented for the Necromancer!

:p

Back