Why does Midwest charge so much for shipping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
Of all the vendors out there Midwest (it seems to me) tries to hit you over the head on the way out.

When I totaled up my order and was checking out, I saw what they wanted to charge me in shipping and nearly fell off my chair.

Needless to say, I'll go back to Northern or Morebeer.

I cant see shopping at Midwest until they do something about it.

Every order I have made, Midwest was cheaper- even after shipping.

Some places offer cheap or free shipping, and raise their prices to compensate. Other places charge actual shipping and keep their prices low.

It's all a numbers game.

The only way to know who is cheaper is to figure out the whole order including the shipping and compare apples to apples at that point.

According to This thread, Midwest usually is one of if not the cheapest:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/price-experiment-81056/

Every order I have made, Midwest was cheaper- even after shipping.

Some places offer cheap or free shipping, and raise their prices to compensate. Other places charge actual shipping and keep their prices low.

It's all a numbers game.

The only way to know who is cheaper is to figure out the whole order including the shipping and compare apples to apples at that point.

According to This thread, Midwest usually is one of if not the cheapest:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/price-experiment-81056/

+1

Just did my own comparison and you're right.

As others have said, it's not the only thing to consider.

I've found that each site has a particular situation/price point where they are the cheapest.

Midwest's shipping prices start high ($10+ minimum) but really don't go up too much as you add more items.

I've brewed a Midwest kit last night and planning to buy a few more within the next few days. Midwest has the lowest prices and charges actual shipping. I can ship ~30# for 15 to a commercial address. I will buy 2-3 kits from there + misc stuff and one of the main reasons for shopping at MW is that they have a promotion of 1 litre swing top bottle for only $1.50 with any kit purchases. I will be getting a few kits from MW to build up my bottle collection. Their prices on kits are very low as well, the ones I was looking at come out ~$30 with liquid yeast.

Midwest is the real deal. It's actually the only online homebrew outlet I've ordered from, although Northern and Austin have a solid rep.

I plan to buy 2 kits from NB by the end of the year. They have one of the limited edition kits that I want to try out and I hear great things about their Red Ale.

Back