National home brew day idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripplehazzard

Reaction score
National home brew day is Sunday May 4th this year. I had an epic idea that im sure a lot of home brewers on here may want to get in on. I know we are one big family on here and would love to take it to the next level... ;) Most home brewers on here will be brewing that day if they can. My idea is to use this thread to organize a huge consecutive brew day on that day. I want to come up with a recipe on here that we all will brew that day. Then come up with a time we will all start. I want to use this thread to come to that conclusion with all your input. I don't know what the record is for most brewing happening at once fir the same recipe but we could easily break it! So lets spread this around and get the ball rolling! First we should come up with a style everyone wants to brew and vote on it. Then all of our beautiful minds should formulate a recipe that everyone will brew that day.lastly we should come up with a standard time everyone will start... if we can. I think it would be awesome to see the different beer everyone gets out of the same recipe. Then we can trade.. give and share our experience and beer. Who's with me here?
EPIC NATION WIDE BREWING! !

Any feedback or suggestions is much appreciated
Happy brewing! Cheers!

Hell yes! I want to do a recipe that is good for both extract and ag brewers nothing too involved I guess

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

This is normally how it works. There are some Big Brew recipes that are put out by the AHA then a bunch of homebrew stores sell the recipe. People get together and brew the same recipes all over the nation (or whatever they want...whatever works).

Hmm... Everyone starts at the same time, or we use the fact that we have early brewers, late brewers and time zones at our disposal to ensure that somewhere, our chosen recipe is being mashed and/or boiled somewhere the entire day long?

If we want everyone to do the same thing, i say we keep it simple and make it as easy as possible to for everyone to get the needed ingredients. Maris Otter/Cascade SMaSH APA?

Of course the other option is to do a big RIS or something like that...

I'm in. I will bring it up to my homebrew club. We were talking about doing something for that day anyways. Why not join the rest of the nation. I vote simple. I was planning on "teaching" a bunch of newbies that day. I like the idea of a MO/Cascade SMASH. Extract brewers could still join in since they sell MO extract now.

Is everyone going to try and brew somewhat all day? I may double batch it that day if anyone else would be interested in one with a bit more challenge. I originally was thinking about doing a BIG BEER and aging it to be drank during next years national homebrew day. Just throwing some feelers out to see if anyone else wants to join.

Could also maybe get a decent swap going with others as well...

I do want to do a day thing out of it. I realize not everyone will be able to do it the same time. Do an all day thing. Im thinking summer styles . Hoping to narrow it down to about 5 brews we can vote on.
Wheat beer
IPA/imperial
Saison
Etc

A double brew day would be feasible too. Start small then go Biggs

Any other ideas?
I want to keep it simple so it will be easier for everyone to be involved

I think the fun part will be swapping the beer to see the difference

Why not just do the recipes AHA sets up for Big Brew like the rest of the nation does? If you want to do your own thing that's cool I'm just wondering why it's pertinent to reinvent the wheel.

I just learned of this. I would like to do anything of that nature. Thought it would be cool to do on national hb day.

I'm in. sub'd so I can keep track and see what recipe we are brewing.

EDIT:
I'm actually about to do a MO/Cascade smash as it is, but I'm up for doing any recipe honestly.

I am sure my club will be participating in Big Brew Day. I refuse to brew any AHA recipe ever again, I still have some left from teh last 2 years and will prob end up dumping. Best part? Everyone in my club also has a bunch of gawd awful beer from the same event.

Make your own recipe and settle on the noon hot scotchy/brewer's breakfast.

Lets formulate some ideas for what we will brew. Some kind of lawnmower beer would be ideal.

Lets formulate some ideas for what we will brew. Some kind of lawnmower beer would be ideal.

I vote hefeweizen. It can be fermented warm or normal 70*, its a crowd-pleaser, and is a great lawnmower beer :rockin:

I would be down fir that. I vote IPA. Of course.. :fro: :D
Lets get it down to a solid 5 then take a vote.

I would be down fir that. I vote IPA. Of course.. :fro: :D
Lets get it down to a solid 5 then take a vote.

I would rather do an IPA too actually. Just figured a hefe would be cheaper to make for everyone. Im down for whatever though!

I am sure my club will be participating in Big Brew Day. I refuse to brew any AHA recipe ever again, I still have some left from teh last 2 years and will prob end up dumping. Best part? Everyone in my club also has a bunch of gawd awful beer from the same event.
Which beer? I've brewed their Bucksnort Brown twice now and it's been great both times. One time was on National Home Brew Day in 2012 and we brewed on a local brewery's system and they sold us the wort for $12/5 gal and we had to provide the yeast. Then I brewed it myself late last year and it turned out great. Even my non craft beer fans have enjoyed it.

Which beer? I've brewed their Bucksnort Brown twice now and it's been great both times. One time was on National Home Brew Day in 2012 and we brewed on a local brewery's system and they sold us the wort for $12/5 gal and we had to provide the yeast. Then I brewed it myself late last year and it turned out great. Even my non craft beer fans have enjoyed it.

Because I know other homebrewers have made these recipes/beers, I am not gong to disclose which ones they were out of respect.

Last year I did a no boil, no chill, partygyle imperial berliner weiss with the 1st runnings and the second/last runnings were a standard berliner. IMHO it was a GREAT choice for remote location brewing. I set up, brewed and cleaned up while everyone else was still mid boil. :cross:

If I can get the recipe from a fellow HBC member I will be brewing up a massive batch of orange hefe. I think I will send him an email to see what he thinks about that! Maybe we will do it as a club. I know it has orange blossom honey and zest in it. It also is one of the only wheat beers I like.

Well lets get some more people on here and do it the democratic way.. just a suggestion lol. I would rather do an ipa too :D have you seen an anti hero clone on here?

Never looked for one but thatd be one to do if its there! You should post a poll to see which beer we brew.

I like the idea for a lawnmower beer since we're gonna need one that time of year anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I vote cream ale as it is my favorite lawnmower beer and it was my first all grain. Other nice things are it is very inexpensive, grain bill isn't large so 1st timers, smaller mashtuns, and BIAB have it easier. Finally if you've never had cream ale done as a Real Ale it is absolutely amazing.

I'm in. My vote though is to just consider that not everyone likes pales, IPAs, Saison etc. It is going to be very hard to please all. Perhaps a choice between two and look at pale and dark allowing for people to raise or lower IBUs to their taste. Of course, you can pick one and (s)he who wishes to join will.

I think something that doesn't require any special equipment or fermentation temps (lager) will be good for all though.

Back