New guy in N. TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonB

Reaction score
I just wanted to stop in and say hi, I've been lurking around for a bit reading and researching for a while.

I'm new to homebrewing and have only completed one batch with some coworkers. It was an IPA, and maybe 1 out of 5 bottles were drinkable, the others, terrible from the bleach based sanitization method we used. We brewed at work with little hot water available, so we did learn from that.

I'm ordering my personal kit shortly, and will attempt what some on here call a "mocktoberfest". Hopefully it will turn out OK, and from reading Papazian's book, along with Palmer's online edition I think I can make it work.

I've wanted to brew my own for a while, but haven't had enough space in the small apartment I was in. One of the first things I wanted to do when I bought this house was to get a setup and start brewing, so wish me luck.

Welcome from another N. Texas brewer. I just started in January and have only done 1 extract and 3 mini-mashes so far. It's amazing how much there is to learn about brewing and how much information is to be found here on HBT.

DeafSmith, have you found many local homebrew shops? I found the one listed in Richardson, but no others specifically for homebrew. A wine shop in Carrollton has some stuff, but not much.

DeafSmith, have you found many local homebrew shops? I found the one listed in Richardson, but no others specifically for homebrew. A wine shop in Carrollton has some stuff, but not much.

The one in Richardson (Homebrew Headquarters) is the only one I know about - I really haven't looked around that much since they are conveniently located. Actually, lately I've been buying mostly on-line from AHS and Norther Brewer and have been happy with both. I have started ordering equipment from NB to avoid paying Texas sales tax on it, and ingredients mostly from AHS since there is no tax on those and I would expect time in transit to be less.

The one in Richardson (Homebrew Headquarters) is the only one I know about - I really haven't looked around that much since they are conveniently located. Actually, lately I've been buying mostly on-line from AHS and Norther Brewer and have been happy with both. I have started ordering equipment from NB to avoid paying Texas sales tax on it, and ingredients mostly from AHS since there is no tax on those and I would expect time in transit to be less.

How are you avoiding taxes on AHS products?
Are they not located in Austin, TX?

Texas sales tax is not charged on food items (including beer ingredients), but is charged on equipment, which is why I prefer to order equipment from NB, but I can order ingredients from AHS without paying a penalty.

There is a homebrew shop in Arlington called Dr. Jeckyll's and there is one in Fort Worth called The Winemaker Shop.

The one in Fort Worth is better and has a really good selection.

Also, welcome!

Welcome from Burleson!

There is a homebrew shop in Arlington called Dr. Jeckyll's and there is one in Fort Worth called The Winemaker Shop.

The one in Fort Worth is better and has a really good selection.

I will respectfully disagree with the fellow quoted above. The Winemaker Shop, at least two months ago, sucked to no end. Staff that didn't seem to know much about what they had, and what they had came directly from AHS anyway. If you like that store, save yourself the trouble and order directly from AHS to get the items cheaper and with less time spent on the shelf.

The older guy (owner I think) at Dr. Jeckyll's is very helpful and will talk with you for as long as you can stand to be in the store. I think his ingredients may sit on the shelf a while also, but the info he can give you is good.

Best all around store I've seen in the Metroplex was hands down Homebrew HQ, but finding the free time to make the trip is just a tad less convenient than ordering online for me.

Oh I wasn't speaking about the caliber of staff, just the selection. The one in Fort Worth has more varieties of hops, yeast and malt than Dr. Jeckyll's. If you need help with a recipe, definitely go to Dr. Jeckyll's. Online would be best but I never plan ahead when I get the brewing bug and want to do it right then.

Welcome from Burleson!

I will respectfully disagree with the fellow quoted above. The Winemaker Shop, at least two months ago, sucked to no end. Staff that didn't seem to know much about what they had, and what they had came directly from AHS anyway. If you like that store, save yourself the trouble and order directly from AHS to get the items cheaper and with less time spent on the shelf.

The older guy (owner I think) at Dr. Jeckyll's is very helpful and will talk with you for as long as you can stand to be in the store. I think his ingredients may sit on the shelf a while also, but the info he can give you is good.

Best all around store I've seen in the Metroplex was hands down Homebrew HQ, but finding the free time to make the trip is just a tad less convenient than ordering online for me.

Oh I wasn't speaking about the caliber of staff, just the selection. The one in Fort Worth has more varieties of hops, yeast and malt than Dr. Jeckyll's. If you need help with a recipe, definitely go to Dr. Jeckyll's. Online would be best but I never plan ahead when I get the brewing bug and want to do it right then.

It's cool man. With the OP being new to this majestic hobby I assumed he would be looking as much for recipes/ideas/pointers as he would be for ingredients/equipment, and that's the angle I took on my post. That being said, if you need something to complete a brew and know exactly what you're looking for and the FW shop is closer, then go there.

Cheers :mug:

Welcome from Burleson!

I have the oppisite opinion. Fort Worth Homebrew (Formerly the Winemaker's Shop) is where I prefer to do my shopping. Pat at Dr. Jeckyll's will definatley talk your ear off, but does not offer good advice. I almost never see another customer when I stop by. I think his loyal following is from one of the homebrew clubs, Knights of the Brown Bottle.

If you do stop my FtWorth Homebrew, talk to the younger guys, as they know about the brewing, the oder couple are the owners and not much of brewers from what I can tell. They do seem to have alot of buisness, there is almost always 1-2 other people there shopping when I stop in.

I have heard of a place that is north of me, called Foremans, but have never been there.

Oh I wasn't speaking about the caliber of staff, just the selection. FortWorth Homebrew has more varieties of hops, yeast and malt than Dr. Jeckyll's. If you need help with a recipe, definitely go to Dr. Jeckyll's. Online would be best but I never plan ahead when I get the brewing bug and want to do it right then.

I will admit, Pat probably has more brewing experience than any retailer on this side of town.

I have never been to Homebrew HQ, but would like to some time, too bad they are a 3hour roundtrip for me. Will have to stop by next time I visit the INLaws who live 2 miles away from them.

Glad to see all these Texans on the board! I remember going to Burleson as a kid to visit my Aunt and Uncle- great times! Not sure where Krum is though! Is that around the Dallas/FW area?

Anyway! Welcome from New Braunfels!

Glad to see all these Texans on the board! I remember going to Burleson as a kid to visit my Aunt and Uncle- great times! Not sure where Krum is though! Is that around the Dallas/FW area?

Anyway! Welcome from New Braunfels!

Krum is over by Denton, north of Ft Worth

Back