My beer has chunks in it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmylaw

Reaction score
I cracked open one of my Brewers Best Arrogant Bastard clones and while the beer is delicious, there are clumps of yeast suspended in the glass after I pour. I'm not talking some sediment, but actual clumps.

The beer has been in the bottle for almost three weeks. Will the sediment continue to settle?

What went wrong?

Glad the beer is delicious. It would be helpful if you could describe a few parts of your procedure. How long was the beer in primary before you bottled? What yeast did you use? Do you store the bottles on their side or upright? The yeast should settle to the bottom with ~48hrs in the fridge. I am guessing that you pour all but the last 1/2 inch or so into your glass.

Beer was in the primary for approx. 3 week, one more in the secondary. Yeast was Safale 05, I think.

Stored up right, but was only in the fridge for 6 hours, which I think was the problem.

Also, I was pouring from a 750ml bottle. First pour into the goblet was ok. Second pour included a "chunk" which broke up as it went into the glass. That was where most of the floating pieces came from.

I think the in future, I will leave in the fridge for longer and be more careful with the pour.

US-05 is not known as being the most flocculant yeast. Leave a beer in the fridge for a day or two and see how it is.

Also, I was pouring from a 750ml bottle. First pour into the goblet was ok. Second pour included a "chunk" which broke up as it went into the glass. That was where most of the floating pieces came from.

I think the yeast broke loose from the bottom of the bottle when you re-poured. Try a continuous pour into a pitcher (all but the last 1/4-1/2 in) and then serving into glasses from there.

I had a bad pour once and stopped to let the head subside. I then continued the pour and got quite a bit of yeast.

Latest posts

Back