Carbonation different in differentt types of bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodeebryan

Reaction score
I am finding that on the same batch of beer. The Stella Artois bottles seem to carb up better than the New Belgium bottles. Better head. Weird? Or not? Secondary. Will bombers take longer to carb than a 12 oz

I have not found any difference between any size or style of bottles. If you are properly mixing you priming solution at bottling time then the same amount of sugars should be equally distributed throughout the beer. If you are finding some bottles to be more or less carbonated then most likely you are not getting an even mix and should gently stir the beer after racking onto the priming solution to ensure a good mix. Do not create a vortex or be aggressive, just a gentle swirl with a sanitized spoon. Also be sure your getting a good seal with your caps.

Yes I have a good seal with the caps. It may be the sugar not mixed well. I did mix gently with a spoon on my last batch I bottled and just opened the first one last night. Carved up just fine. Just basically no head. What causes no head?

dodeebryan said:
Yes I have a good seal with the caps. It may be the sugar not mixed well. I did mix gently with a spoon on my last batch I bottled and just opened the first one last night. Carved up just fine. Just basically no head. What causes no head?

Lack of head on your beer could be as simple as dirty glassware, they may look clean but have soap/dishwasher residue.

Soak them in some vinegar water and rinse really well and try a pour and see if its better. Otherwise it could come down to the grain bill and lack of head forming/retaining malt additions.

Back