What went Wrong with my OG ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
Tying to understand the Home Brewing process, you guys make it look so easy.
Doing All-grain Mild IPA and the OG was set for 1.050 and I pulled a 1.062.

What dose that mean ??

It either means you haven't properly corrected for temperature, resulting in an inaccurate reading

or, more likely since you're too high not too low, I'd guess your efficiency is just better than what was assumed by the recipe.

My advice would be to not rely strictly on all grain recipes you see, and instead start using software to start adjusting your recipes based on your efficiency.

To expand a bit:

There's only so much sugar that can be extracted from grain, and that number is consistent from batch to batch for a given type of grain. Your efficiency is how much you manage to extract. You can figure out your efficiency by calculating the highest possible original gravity for a given grain bill and comparing that to the OG you obtain. Most software will do this for you. Your efficiency can vary greatly based on technique, but as you become consistent in your brewing habits, you'll find that your efficiency becomes consistent as well. From there, when you're figuring out recipes, instead of just taking a recipe and accepting the OG that comes from it, you can use your efficiency to alter the original grain bill. Not very efficient? Just scale up the grain bill and you're all set. Extremely efficient? Save money on grain by not buying as much. Again, software will take care of all of these calculations for you. It's possible to do them by hand, but I don't think anything is really gained by doing it that way - unless you like to have a complete handle on every step of the process.

Hope that helps!

Ok, I have miss-read my reading that I took at Kettle Full. It is 1.006 NOT the 1.062

redrider736 said:
Ok, I have miss-read my reading that I took at Kettle Full. It is 1.006 NOT the 1.062

I'm guessing you're reading I wrong. Even with piss poor efficiency, you'd get a LOT higher than 1.006. If that was really your OG, you'd be fermenting water with a touch of sugar. :)

Latest posts

Back