Depressurizing a keg with beer in it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stepcg6

Reaction score
So a little story:

I tried pouring my Belgian out of the tap today and nothing came out. I knew it was near the end, but I didn't think I had gotten there yet so I went down into the kegorator to see what the problem was. The keg itself felt very light so I wanted to see if maybe I had in fact drank all the beer. I shut off the gas to the keg, depressurized it completely, opened up the top to find that though the beer was low, there definitely was at least a gallon left.

I was confused so I started checking the lines. Turns out the beer out line had actually frozen beer in it. I guess the back of my kegorator is so cold it literally froze the beer in the line so it couldn't get through. Well I massaged the line in the heat and broke up the frozen part so beer could flow through. I reconnected all the valves and got the gas flowing again. However, when I poured it up after that, all I got was massively cloudy beer.

What gives? Does the whole keg need to repressurize to give clean beer again? Did I somehow ruin the batch? Anyone experience this/have any ideas? It looked cloudy like it was almost full of yeast or something....it was a weird murky color when it should be crisp and golden.

Your right, you just stirred up the yeast and sediment that had collected at the bottom of the keg by moving it around. Everything is fine. It will settle out again.

Yep, give it a couple of days for everything to settle back down. It seems to happen worse on kegs that are low on contents.

Back