so what to do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdix

Reaction score
So I made my first none kit batch after two weeks in the carboy I got impacient and racked out the leas but the wine has an unusual smell like rotten eggs and kind of tastes that way also. I topped it up with water and rebunged it but im concerned about this smell and flavor. What could have caused it? Is there anything I can do about it? Is the wine still good?

Probably an SO2 build up. Some yeasts do this bad and others do this if there is a lack of nutrients. Nothing is terrible and can all be fixed caught this soon.

My suggestion is to get some yeast energizer (the tan powder not white looking crystals) and mix that in well. For some of my wine musts I use a wine whip chucked into a drill to aerate the must slightly in the early stages of fermentation like this and that helps to dispel the SO2.

I have heard a cap full of hydrogenperoxide does dissipate SO2 well. Exact amounts to use I am not sure of. The thought just sounds weird putting that in my wine/meadto me so I have been happy with being exuberant with my nutrients and whipping the must when needed.

In case anyone else had this smell and read this thread the hydrogen paroxide worked magically. Added one cap full of 30% hydrogen peroxide and within a couple of days the smell and taste were gone and only the wine was present.

Back