Flander's Red contamination help/questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeezerpleezer

Reaction score
Hi all. I got my first Flanders Red brewed up Friday, so I am excited about that. Brewday went well, however I had a little issue this morning. Yesterday there was still about 4 inches of head room in the carboy, but to my surprise, the airlock was full of krausen this morning. It had also got into the water that the carboy was sitting in (I have an extra bathtub that never gets used, so ferment in it). The problem is that there were also 2 other fermenters in the tub, a 6.5g glass carboy full of imperial porter, and an ale pail of pale ale that I made yesterday. I got the Flanders setup with a blowoff tube and drained the tub and refilled it with “fresh” water. I then removed the porter ( glass carboy), sprayed it down with sanitizer, wiped it dry, then re-sprayed it with sanitizer again and let it sit in an extra closet (primary fermentation is done). I never took the airlock off and made sure to spray around it good. I left the bucket in the tub, under the assumption that trying to clean the plastic was a waste of time. I did not disturb the airlock on it either, so it has remained sealed. Now, I am not worried about bad beer or anything, but do have a couple questions:

-Should I worry about the bugs getting into the other fermenters? I am not worried about the beer souring, but planned to bottle the porter and didn’t want to have potential bottle bombs. I planned to keg the pale ale, but didn’t really want to contaminate a keg. I do have an extra, so that is not really a big deal to me.

-Should I designate the bucket as a souring fermenter from now on? Oh yeah…. the Flanders was bugged with the Wyeast 3763 Roselare Blend.

-Anything else I should take into consideration? (other than not letting this mess happen again)

Thanks in Advance!

If the sour beer just got on the outside of the pale, I would rinse it, sanitize it and call it good. I don't think the bugs will permeate the bucket.

1) nope. if its not permeating normally with tons of it being in the air naturally, its not gunna cuz its in water

2) if you want to. IME, i havent found the need as long as you're thorough in cleaning/sanitizing.

3) RDWHAHB

Back