galvanised!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtohomebrew

Reaction score
I've built a brewery and ive used some galvanised steel wire in the mash tun to stop the braided hose collapsing,
Should this be ok?

Nope. You'll have to come up with a better solution. You can't use galvanized, it will rust with a quickness. If your braid is collapsing from the weight, switch to a manifold.

BBL_Brewer said:
Nope. You'll have to come up with a better solution. You can't use galvanized, it will rust with a quickness. If your braid is collapsing from the weight, switch to a manifold.

Not to mention the toxicity of the galvanization. That alone is a deal breaker. I think it's cadmium that is the problem. Palmer talks about it in his book. Do NOT use galvanized anything in the brew system!

Third to say 'No'. You need a better solution. You could try running a length of well-drilled/slotted PEX inside your braid. It maintains structural integrity up to about 180 before it should start to soften a little. I've never hit 180F in my MLT.

I hate torching & welding the crap. bruva, use something else. galv ain't right. unless you like involuntary twitching & vomiting and possible long term brain damage. (I have no hard evidence of this claim)

find a wooden dowel smaller diameter than your braided tube,,,,,,wrap it like a spring(about1/4") spacing with stainless steel wire

here,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd chime in one more "NO" to this one. Galvanized steel is toxic in a brewery setting

Cheers guys,
I have removed it and im now awaiting the stainless steel wire I ordered from Amazon!
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back