Clean keg lines are awesome!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
I just wanted to give every new kegging brewer out there a heads up on how important clean lines are. I have been kegging since March, and I have had about 6 different batches on tap so far. I have been very lazy about cleaning because I didn't have a good method to do so yet, and would hook up keg with cleaner/water once every other month or so. I didn't taste any "bad" flavors but i thought my brews were missing something. Also my kegerator is outside and with a tower, so I would have to pour a few oz off each new day I went to get a pint, to get the warm, flat and funky beer out of the lines.

Well I just did the pump sprayer DIY cleaner setup seen on this forum and about half a keg into my latest ordinary bitter, I am really tasting it for the first time!! I am shocked how huge the difference is, it is a great beer, and was just a mediocre beer.

so if you are new to kegging and unaware... CLEAN YOUR LINES!!! You will be happy you did.

I used to have a sanke kegerator and never cleaned the lines. It was awful but I guess when you are drinking a lot of bud light, it is hard to notice lol

I bought the stuff to make the line cleaner too but both my posts don't fit the thread so I am going to buy the one from northern brewer recommended in that thread.

My LHBS guy said when he finds using the keg to be easier. He made a good point but I think the line cleaner is still easier. He said he cleans the keg and then uses the keg to clean every line (even ones with a keg of beer) and then fills the empty keg with water and rinses them all. This way they all get cleaned when his keg gets cleaned not just the line from the empty keg.

This is something I heard and read everywhere when I first started and I keep in in mind all the time. I have a 4 tap homemade kegerator and sometimes some of them *gasp* are not used.

I got a 5th corny keg when I was setting it up and keep it primed with either star-san or tap cleaning solution all the time and just rotate it through the lines every few weeks. I just disco all of them, put the CO2 on the cleaning keg and then rotate through running the lines and taps for a minute or two. Then I completely disassemble the taps (takes 2 minutes) and soak all of the parts in star-san for 5-10 minutes before rinsing and putting it all back together.

I also keep the kegerator in the garage so I have those plastic tap covers to keep the fruit flies out. Clean=tasty!

I just wanted to give every new kegging brewer out there a heads up on how important clean lines are. I have been kegging since March, and I have had about 6 different batches on tap so far. I have been very lazy about cleaning because I didn't have a good method to do so yet, and would hook up keg with cleaner/water once every other month or so. I didn't taste any "bad" flavors but i thought my brews were missing something. Also my kegerator is outside and with a tower, so I would have to pour a few oz off each new day I went to get a pint, to get the warm, flat and funky beer out of the lines.

Well I just did the pump sprayer DIY cleaner setup seen on this forum and about half a keg into my latest ordinary bitter, I am really tasting it for the first time!! I am shocked how huge the difference is, it is a great beer, and was just a mediocre beer.

so if you are new to kegging and unaware... CLEAN YOUR LINES!!! You will be happy you did.

Make sure you take your taps apart often and clean them too. My fridge is in the garage and I really have to keep them clean when it's hotter out. You won't believe the chunk of mold or crap I sometimes find inside the taps.

I used to have a sanke kegerator and never cleaned the lines. It was awful but I guess when you are drinking a lot of bud light, it is hard to notice lol

I bought the stuff to make the line cleaner too but both my posts don't fit the thread so I am going to buy the one from northern brewer recommended in that thread.

My LHBS guy said when he finds using the keg to be easier. He made a good point but I think the line cleaner is still easier. He said he cleans the keg and then uses the keg to clean every line (even ones with a keg of beer) and then fills the empty keg with water and rinses them all. This way they all get cleaned when his keg gets cleaned not just the line from the empty keg.

The post made for the keg cleaner was from Brewmaster's Warehouse:

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102273/ball-lock-liquid-post-assembly-firestone

It definately is much easier than lugging a keg of cleaner to your kegerator

I will have to take my taps apart too. I got the perlicks to help keep down on the funk but I know they should be cleaned regularly still.

I agree with ease of portability and conservation of co2 with the pump model. I figure the easier it is to clean, the more likely I will do it

Back