Hurricane in 12 hours.... Pick or Protect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
As the title suggests, Earl will be here in 12 hours.

Are these far enough along to pick or should I roll the dice and protect?

Skins on most are starting to get papery and open up a bit.... but not really brown or dry yet.

Here are some photos.

Ummmmm don't mean to be a bother, but a quick opinion would be appreciated. :)

Broken cone showing yellow....

DSC_0002.jpg

General color....

DSC_0006.jpg

Upon opening a cone....

DSC_0013.jpg

Earl is sort of wussing out down here in MA. It will probably be reduced to a tropical storm by the time it passes by Nantucket around 2AM.

Maybe harvest the bigger, heavier ones and leave the smaller ones to see what happens.

Earl is definitely chilling out some

I have some that I haven't harvested yet, and all I'm gonna do is hope for the best. I did get my Saaz and Hallertauer down, but the Cascades and Chinook are still up.

As Mermaid said, Earl is turning out to be a wussy, so hopefully, mine will weather the storm just fine.

I can't imagine how you'll protect them, so - if it was me - I'd pick all the cones that are close to being ready, and at least some of the ones in your pictures are pretty close.

Up here in Maine we just got a lot of rain. It was over by 6am. Everything looks like it's still standing here.

I am rolling the dice on just leaving them be. The hops climb ropes up to a tree at the edge of my forested land. Since all the early wind has been from the east, I the hops are relatively protected. With winds expected to stay away from S to SW, I think they will be fine.

Another couple weeks would do them good.

My nuggets are fairly well done, but one of my cascade bines just sent out sidearms.

Latest posts

Back