ProFlow Camlocks + thermoplastic tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobolstinks

Reaction score
Has anyone try to stretch thermoplastic tubing over the 1/2" mpt pro-flow camlocks? I like the rigidity of the thermoplastic tubing, I bought thin walled silicone and my chugger sucked it shut on the inlet side. I'm now debating on whether to go silicone or thermoplastic.

So to summarize
1. Has anyone incorporated 1/2" thermoplastic tubing with the proflow camlocks? If so how.
2. What silicone is good enough to not shut it self with a pump running wide open? I see midwest has reinforced silcone for $8.99 a foot, but I don't want to spend near that on tubing. Would something like this work? http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10014

Thanks!

Hi

Ive done what your suggesting and ended up using barbs. I went in with the intention to stretch the tubing over the MPT of an elbow and it just wasnt possible. Thermoplastic tubing is just very ridgid.

Hi

Ive done what your suggesting and ended up using barbs. I went in with the intention to stretch the tubing over the MPT of an elbow and it just wasnt possible. Thermoplastic tubing is just very ridgid.

did you try boiling the tubing first to soften it up? THats what the guys at northern brewer recommended to me a few minutes ago.

Yes. The tubing is not at all "stretchy".

Keep in mind the OD of 1/2 MPT is apprx 3/4".. I would think if you ground down the pipe threads you might have a chance.

I use the over sized barbs from Brewers Hardware (below on the right) and have the thermoplastic hose stretched over them. I don't use any hose clamps on my system.

I use a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup and put some water in it and nuke it. Hold the hose in the water for about 10 seconds and then cram the barb in there real quick.

TFB58_BoreComp.jpg

I use the over sized barbs from Brewers Hardware (below on the right) and have the thermoplastic hose stretched over them. I don't use any hose clamps on my system.

I use a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup and put some water in it and nuke it. Hold the hose in the water for about 10 seconds and then cram the barb in there real quick.

TFB58_BoreComp.jpg

Thanks Jon this gives me some hope. According to brewershardware the OD of those barbs is .625" so i think there's a chance this will work.

Yes those barbs will work with the thermoplastic hose (im using them as well). No clamps too.

I have the 5/8" barbs as well. There is no way you'll get thrermoplastic over 1/2" NPT threads. THat's over 1/4" of ID stretch. It's difficult enough with silicone.

bummer, well does 1/8" walled silicone suck itself shut when running a pump wide open?

ok sounds good, im not gonna bother to try and stretch it then. Thanks for the info ill be buying some tubing off your site. Thanks!

TFB58_BoreComp.jpg

I love brewers hardware... although it is worth noting that these 1/2" mpt with 5/8" barbs are now also available at bargain fittings for less than $5. That is half price :)
Will admit that the brewer's hardware barbs are prettier and more polished.

I do not like the tubing on threads technique one bit.

I love brewers hardware... although it is worth noting..<snip>

You're right, it is worth noting....
Tons of people were looking for a barb like this and Derrin at Brewers Hardware went and contracted someone to make this. They are high quality pieces, not like the cheap Chinese version at BF. The reviewer at the BF site on that barb is funny, he says "It is freakishly light weight for being SS." I think that tells the whole story right there. I'll pay extra for the known quality.

I can tell you the thick wall 1/2 inch they are selling will never suck shut. I got 25 feet of it today and it is tough as nails and will stand up to many years of daily use. For me that is a lifetime or more, so If Austin is on your vendors list give em a try. I like their quick flat rate shipping and free shipping on orders over a 100 bucks. Plus they have the March 809's on sale for 20 bucks off right now.
Bob

bummer, well does 1/8" walled silicone suck itself shut when running a pump wide open?

Using a march pump, your not generating ANY suction on the inlet side as these are not self-priming... they just pump whats fed to the head.

Sorry I assumed he was using some other kind of pump and was throwing in a lead about a good deal on March pumps. Didnt mean for my reply to be so confusing.
Bob

Using a march pump, your not generating ANY suction on the inlet side as these are not self-priming... they just pump whats fed to the head.

Im using a chugger pump and it does suck the inlet side tubing shut on the thin walled stuff. Its not self priming but it still generates suction on the inlet.

Latest posts

Back