cleaning copper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did you all clean your immersion chillers before you used them the first time?
Mine's homemade, and the coil of copper was sitting around for a couple of months before I got everything ready. Just wondering if the oxidation will will impart any flavor on the beer, as I understand the boiling wort cleans it up pretty good.

Tanks.

I just dropped mine into boiling hot wort. I figured if there were any beasties on it that would kill them! No ill side effects. The beer tasted awesome.

John

I use 2 parts distilled white vinegar and 1 part hydrogen peroxide. I would use a trash bag and pull it up the middle of your coils so you don't have to use a terrible lot to soak. It makes everything shiny.

Just give it a 10 minute boil in enough water to fully cover it along with a couple of cups of white vinegar (not cider vinegar) and it will come out looking like a shiny new penny. While getting off any excessive oxidation is a good idea, it's really more to make sure that any residual machining oil that was used during the extrusion process is removed.

johnsma22 said:
Just give it a 10 minute boil in enough water to fully cover it along with a couple of cups of white vinegar (not cider vinegar) and it will come out looking like a shiny new penny. While getting off any excessive oxidation is a good idea, it's really more to make sure that any residual machining oil that was used during the extrusion process is removed.

Yep, I agree I wouldn't worry about the "beasties" but that machining oil has been on every copper tubing roll I've bought and as you suggest the vinegar:water did the trick.

Back