German Pils tastes a bit like white wine...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewbis

Reaction score
It was a straight forward German Pils. I don't think any of the ingredients could have attributed to the white wine taste, so it must be the FG or the fermentation...? OG was around 1.047, FG is 1.009. Pretty dry as a pils should be. Fermentation was 2 weeks at 50 degrees in my lagering fridge. 24 hours at 60 degrees for diacetyl rest, now we're at 3 weeks into the lagering at 40 degrees. Maybe the carbonation will hide some of this, but maybe it's also just not finished lagering. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this during the lagering phase. I should also note that the pils starts with a semi-sharp white wine taste, and finishes with a very nice hop bite and pronounced malt taste.

Recipe???? German pils malt has a slight "grapey" flavor to me. Is that what you are tasting? I get it in my own brews as well as several German beers.

Thanks for the quick reply. The recipe was 95% German Pils and 5% Domestic Crystal 10.
1.25 oz Saaz FWH (19 ibu)
1.5 oz Saaz @ 30 (15 ibu)
1 oz Saaz @ 10 (5 ibu)
1 oz Saaz @ flameout

Single infusion mash at 151 for 60 minutes,
90 minute boil.

The recipe seems pretty solid to me, so if you're claiming that german malts usually have this "grape" taste, maybe it's normal. It does taste very similar to green grapes, and it was more pronounced about a week ago.

Could just be acetaldehyde, a flavor in young beer. It will age out and the carbonation will also help.

If possible, knock the temp down as close to freezing as you can get it. I find this helps condition my lagers faster.

Back