Oxynater won't shut off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planenut

Reaction score
I just got my Oxynater yesterday and used it for the first time. I've read some other posts and am not worried about the lack of a great deal of foam on top (It was making bubbles). However, even when I turned the valve to close, it still had bubbles coming out of the stone. When the valve is opened much more comes out.

I'm thinking the valve is defective and I need to return it for another unit. Is there anything I am missing?

Not positive of your exact situation... but I think this is because there is some residual pressure in the O2 line even after the valve is closed, and less resisitance through the stone. O2 leaks very slowy through the small holes in the stone, so I would bet if you disconnect the valve from the supply bottle and then open the valve to release the O2 in the line, the bubbles will stop without the residual pressure on the O2 in line.

Half's explanaiton makes sense to me, but I would also follow Gila's lead on disconnecting. Just like you would with a propane torch. You don't leave the torch attached to the bottle or there's a good chance that next time you go to use it it'll be empty.

The stone will still be bubbling a few minutes after you turn off the O2 mine does then it slowly dies to none . The stone holds pressure in the line . I never take the valve off and get 7-10 batches from the bottle

I did remove the bottle last night and plan on storing it removed.

I just tested it again and you are right, it is just residual pressure. I can remove the bottle and it still bubbles for at least 30 more seconds with no bottle connected. With no bottle connected, there was no way for it to continue to bubble w/out it being residual pressure in the line.

I'm just surprised there is that much restriction in the stone to trap that much pressure!

Thanks

Back