Regular Molasses + Lyles Golden Syrup = Treacle Substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurnaut

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've looked around and there a ton of threads about using treacle, molasses, and golden syrup, but I couldn't find this particular question:

I missed my gravity on my first all-grain batch on my Dry Irish Stout, and would like to bring the ABV up a bit, and have thought about adding a complementary dark-flavored fermentable to the secondary to do so. I settled on black treacle to make it a "Peculiar" Irish Stout - where it's said that Old Peculiar gets its peculiarness...

However... I can't find any treacle this weekend, and I'm ready to rack to secondary. I did find some Lyle's Golden Syrup and some regular Molasses.

Would I come close to matching a black treacle flavor profile by adding 1/2 Golden Syrup and 1/2 Molasses? I was thinking about 2oz of each to a 1/2 cup of water, boiling it, cooling it, and adding it to the secondary.

Thoughts?

I would be conservative with the molasses, as it may indeed be less refined than the treacle the recipe is looking for. As far as I'm aware, the nutritional info on the packet should show that treacle has around 65-70 percent carbs, while molasses would have about 50.

Back