New Belgium Somersault clone...well kinda.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazersgopewpew

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers, I would greatly appreciate some help and input on this.

So, I've found that peoples opinion on New Belgiums Somersault seem to be split with people either liking it or not. Personally, I thought it was interesting and (since New Belgium is kind enough to post their ingredients online) decided I wanted to clone this (my first attempt at a clone btw).

What I came up with was this.
Partial Mash:
1 lb Pale malt (2 row)
5 oz Malted Oats
5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 20L

6 lbs Pale LME

Hops:
0.65 oz Centennial 60 min
0.75 oz Centennial 20 min
0.5 oz Centennial 5 min

3 lbs of Apricots
2.0 oz Ginger 12 min
Yeast: WLP051 California Ale V

Now Here's my dilemma, While I liked the beer, there are a few things I would like to change (Ah the beauty of homebrewing)
Granted this won't be a clone if I do, but I'd rather get something I like more than a clone.

I was thinking that while the citrus provided by the Centennial was quite refreshing, I'd like to tone it down a tad.

Also, while I did see some of the Apricot in the aroma, I think I"d like to get a slightly stronger aroma and possibly taste from them.

Finally, I've never used ginger in a brew, and was wondering, what kind of taste/aroma does ginger give in a finished brew (as some spices and other additives change in their properties after fermentation)

So What I was thinking was lowering the centennial, upping the apricot, and...not sure what to do with the ginger.
Or maybe I'll just leave the centennial and just up the apricot.

What's everyones thoughts on this?

I just sat down and tasted a Somersault and I'm very much like you in that the centennial would not be my choice either. I'm a big fan of Hallertauer and cascade hops and if I were going to clone this one that's what I'd use. Of course it wouldn't be a true clone but I'm more interested in changing the flavor around. I'd also use S-05 yeast since it's more neutral.

I think the 3 lbs of apricots would be plenty.

Let me how close you were with this one. I just had a somersault and I would love to make this one.

Not close at all haha.
I decided to go in a different directions with this one.
As a side note, I think New Belgium lies on their website lol. There's no way a beer can be that crisp and have oats in it.

Back