Kettle boil off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstewartgt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read quite a few posts trying to decide on which kettle to buy and I'm somewhere between Blichman and the Morebeer megapot. The only reason I was hesitant on getting the megapot was the high boil off rate which everyone seems to infer is such a bad thing.

This weekend I brewed a 1.090 Hopalam clone doing a batch sparge and read many threads suggesting the best way to do a high gravity with batch sparge is to boil off more wort. I ended up doing about a 2 hours boil since my current kettle only boils off about .75/hr. So if that's the case, wouldn't I be better off with a kettle that does a higher boil off? Seems like it's always better to get as much wort as possible and boil it down to what you need.

I'm guessing the response is going to be if I have a higher boil off then the Kettle will have to be larger. I plan on getting a 15 gallon and don't anticipate doing many 10 gallon batches, but who knows.

Thanks for your input!

Back