Dried Ginger vs Crystalized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooMan

Reaction score
I found a recepie for ginger ale in the July-August issue of Brew Your Own. They call for a 1in piece of "dried Ginger" along with fresh greater Ginger. Is dried Ginger different from crystalized or candied Ginger? If so, What would be be the benefits of one over the other?

M

Last weekend, I was wondering the same thing. I ended up using 3.3 ounces of fresh ginger and was happy with the results. I may cut back on the sugar in the future because it was a little too sweet for my liking.

crystallized ginger is made by boiling the ginger in sugar syrup, so it will be much milder in ginger flavor ounce for ounce than an unsweetened ginger, as it's meant to be eaten like candy. Unsweetened dried ginger would work better for a soda brew, I think, but it will have a different flavor than fresh. I don't know where you'd buy dried unsweetened ginger, though.

Latest posts

Back