Secondary at same temp as Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
Yay....or Nay...

Also would you bottle condition at this temp as well?? I'm thinking around 65-68 degrees for my pale ale.

I assuming your talking about an ale, so.... The primary and is your only real concern with temperature as far as fermentation goes. After fermentation is complete you don't have to worry so much about keeping the temperature to the yeasts liking. I routinely ferment in my fermentation chamber (an old fridge), and after the first week when fermentation is done I'll take the carboy(s) out to make room for another brew. Bottle conditioning you want to keep the bottles the same as fermentation or greater. (70's work great for me.) Like Clann said, you might just want to say 'later' to the secondary and just primary for a month instead.

thanks for the replies, heres a couple of other things that important to note.

I live in san diego in an un-airconditioned apartment. Its gonna start warming up here real soon and i'll need a way to control my temps.. and if i take my secondary out of the ferm chamber and just put into room temperature...that room temperature might be up to 95+ degrees Fahr. on some days..

So if I have the space should I just leave it in the chamber sitting around 68+/- a few degrees??

And to the no secondary thing im considering trying it but my plan was to dryhop in the secondary... and this way I can start another brew soon afterwards with my primary 6 gal carboy.

I live in san diego in an un-airconditioned apartment. Its gonna start warming up here real soon and i'll need a way to control my temps.. and if i take my secondary out of the ferm chamber and just put into room temperature...that room temperature might be up to 95+ degrees Fahr. on some days..

So if I have the space should I just leave it in the chamber sitting around 68+/- a few degrees??

And to the no secondary thing im considering trying it but my plan was to dryhop in the secondary... and this way I can start another brew soon afterwards with my primary 6 gal carboy.

At 95F I would keep it in the ferm chamber. Such high temps could drastically accelerate the aging process (and not in a good way).

Those are two good reasons to use a secondary, though I would argue you can dry hop in primary and that you should go out and buy another bucket so you have more flexibility to brew when you want. I started with a single bucket but am now up to two buckets, 3 glass carboys, and a half dozen 1 gallon glass jugs (for small experimental stuff). And I'm thinking it's time to get another glass carboy!

Thehopguy said:

Firstly, San Diego here too and I hope it'll hit 95, this gloom is crap.
Second, keep it in if the weather gets 85+ if you can just to be safe. Actually the best idea (from what I read) is to gently put the hops into your beer during the last week of fermentation in your primary, then transfer to the secondary then bottles. So you reduce sediment the most. I will try and find the post where Revvy talks about this.

Back