To boil or not to boil. That is the question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepaholic

Reaction score
I'm setting up my yeast bank over the next couple of weeks. I will be making 15 or so starters to build up the various yeast strains I am going to keep on hand.

To make things more simple and less expensive I am going to make a 7 gallon batch of wort at 1.040 and can them in 1qt mason jars so I don't have to worry about making a batch it wort every time I make a starter.

My question is, is there a point in boiling it? The only plus I can see is getting a hot break would remove proteins but I don't know if there is a benefit to that.
Thanks,
Marcus

You have to mix the wort properly and hot water will do that. I think you have to pressure cook the jars. I would not trust storage of that unfermented wort for more than a couple of weeks otherwise. It seems like too much fuss to me. I make starters in no time flat. Flask, water, funnel, dme, water, drop of fermcap, boil, chill, add yeast = about 30 minutes.

I think you have to pressure cook them. I would not trust storage of that unfermented wort for more than a couple of weeks otherwise. It seems like too much fuss to me. I make starters in no time flat. Beacon, water, funnel, dme, water, drop of fermcap, boil, chill, add yeast = about 30 minutes.

Perhaps I should clear up my intention. I will be boiling each jar to sterilize and protect it from spoilage. My question was after the mash should I boil in the boil kettle before putting it in jars.

I used to boil the wort, then pour into sanitized jars and then boil the jars. ..... Way too much effort for what I was after.

I've changed to: 9 pints water, 16 to 20 ozs LME, boil, pour into 7 (24 ozs) mason jars, cap, seal, invert to sanitize cap. Leave to cool down and store in fridge.

Do you have space in a fridge to store 7 gallons of starter wort? If you don't boil it in a pressure cooker, you have the potential for live botulism spores to be present. It needs to be stored below 40 F to prevent botulism from reproducing and producing toxic by-products.

Back