What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hung over from a stag party last night, brewed a 10 gallon batch of fat tire. got 2 extra points on gravity and hit volumes spot on.

also dismantled the kegerator for transport back to CT... its going to be a long night putting it back together.

Purchased new 5lb CO tank and 2 gauge regulator. Got to get back to kegging. Somewhere in the last 3 moves I lost my CO2 and regulators. Been bouncing between 2 states without legal homebrewing, decided to say screw it.

Set my kettle free!!

Yesterday brewed my Northwest scotch style ale couldnt resist now i have to call it Hop Scotch ale, and then the second runnings turned in to a NB/Cascade pale with some steeped grain additions

I brewed a cream ale. Nailed all my temps and volumes. Even my scheduled OG.

Drinking a porter I brewed some weeks ago.

I'm having a buddy of mine down from NC enjoy a beer tasting of my last 4 batches. I also learned Cigar City has a bar in Tampa airport and had Fat Tire for the first time this weekend in Maryland(we don't get it down here in Key West). To top it off the weather inspired a name for my blonde ale recipe, Tropical Storm. Fitting both the weather down here and the tropical flavor of the Citra and Motueka hops in the brew.

Hooked my golden ale up to the gas. Should be good to go in two weeks.

Pulled samples from my three occupied fermenters, gravity samples on the 60/- and dry stout , checking the sourness on the Berliner Weisse (not quite there yet).

Build 2 garden hose counter flow chillers, bottles my second ever batch (cream ale) and brewed up my third batch (brown ale kit).

The chiller was nice to have. I got the wort cooled in the sink with ice down to around 170 before running through the chiller. Ordered some high temp hose.

I've been browsing the hbt threads for a while, but this is my first post. There is certainly a wealth of info on these forums.

image-917106383.jpg

image-2891638655.jpg

Brewed King Brian's Caramel Amber with my buddy for his 2nd batch. It was my first time 1st wort hopping in a brewing process. Everything went smooth as can be. Looks like its gonna be a tasty brew.

Received another corny today and cleaned it up and replaced the o rings. I'll be filling it up tomorrow but that's another thread...

Nice idea. So here is what I did for beer today... Checked to see if my White IPA had a stable FG, tasted my RIS to see if the Oak and Chili was coming through enough yet and swirled my IIPA gently to recirculate yeast. Since I work in a "LHBS" (part of a liquor store) I helped a newer brewer by swapping out his Coopers dry yeast with a better dry option for the style and helped a first time brewer diagnose his lack of carbonation issue on his first brew.

Got rid of a bunch of unnecessary bottles since I'm kegging. They're mostly clear (2 cases I never used), green, and odd balls that don't make complete cases.

Just ordered specialty grains for the oh the next 12 batches I plan to brew from rebelbrewer. I also inventoried my hops and specialty grains. I am also sitting on about 120 pounds of base grain between MO and 2 row. I decided to list every beer I want to drink for fall and summer, picked recipes, and went from there.

I got up this morning and looked longingly at my first batch sitting in the fermenter....day 6. I'm trying not to pry it open to test it until day 14 but we will see how patient I am.

Brewing a nice Session Wheat right now, which will eventually be my version of a Shandy. A little sweet orange at the end of the boil and Tru Lemon at bottling time. I love how every beer is an experiment! :mug:

I made beer cry.

alot.

I dropped a full growler of my freshly bottled Blonde and it went boom. I shed a tear.

Then I got mad cause I had to move conditioning beer in the first place. I need more space.

Bottled my White Pepper Rye Saison, brewed a Smoked Saison and pitched on 1/3 of the cake from the first one...

Washed up some empties; soaking a filthy krausen-ringed carboy in our soaker tub as I speak. Hey, it doesn't get used so may as well soak ★something★ in it...:mug:

Bought a 50 lbs sack of pale ale malt. Got Ph testers and chemicals to adjust my water profile. Also picked up a copy of Stan Hieronymus's book Brewing With Wheat. Also picked up enough grain to turn my hefewiezen into a wiezenbock :mug:

f0xtr0t said:
Bought a 50 lbs sack of pale ale malt. Got Ph testers and chemicals to adjust my water profile. Also picked up a copy of Stan Hieronymus's book Brewing With Wheat. Also picked up enough grain to turn my hefewiezen into a wiezenbock :mug:

I got a 50# sack of pale malt too! My first huge bag. Wife was like, "What did you do?"

i did a tour of the Deep Ellum brewery in Dallas. didn't learn much, but it was nice to be around other folks who are enthusiastic about brewing! drank a lot of their farmhouse wit and their double stout :drunk:

Checked the pressure on kegs of Light Lager, Amber Lager and All Wheat Hefe that are being carbed/cold conditioned for the 4th.

Bottled my "Hello Ladies Ale" early this morning, and my "Ham's Horney Ale" has 30 minutes left in the boil. Ham is my best friend, and the brew has honey and orange in it. So I guess I invented a clever name for my beer too!

I tossed a case of momma's Summer Shandy in the fridge about an hour ago. You wanna know what's weird? At one hour or so fridge time,it's slightly cool,clear as a bell with head like all to be damn & 2.5" left in my no nick,it still has carbonation & a slight veneer head.
But...at 7-10 days in the fridge,chill haze refuses to settle (although not very hazy),& flavors are weaker compared to now. This was version 2 by the way. It's in my recipes. The hop & lemon flavor is wonderfully crisp & flavor full with little chill time. Not sure what to think,but it feels soooo good to have a home brew again!!! All's almost right with the world again.

Latest posts

Back