Slate Article on Female Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a good read. Glad to see some new found truths coming out. Or at least,re-discovered. My wife is starting to turn out to be quite the good brewing student. I can't wait for the day she comes up with her very own 1st recipe. I'll def be perk as a ruttin buck on that day! Then,traditions with my German:tank: ancestors will have come full circle.

I enjoy Slate, although their Double X blog usually makes me want to gouge my eyes and brain out. This was sort of interesting though.

my wife enjoys my brewing hobby.

mostly.

she complains about how much I've spent in equipment, and per batch costs, and why do I need to make 5 gallons every 2 weeks, and she doesn't like hoppy brews, or the mess I make...

but overall she likes it!

My girlfriend is the one who bought me my brewing kit as an anniversary gift, and she and I split the cost of ingredients. She also designs labels and helps me bottle. She's a little nervous about the actual brewing process because she isn't very confident in the kitchen, but I'm working on it.

My girlfriend has her own hobbies that I support her in (knitting, spinning and weaving) and in kind return she supports my obsession with fermentation (beer, cheese, pickles and sausage).

If one day she wants to retire to a hobby farm to raise Alpaca and grow hops and brew with me, then we can both grow fat and old and happy together.

My girlfriend has her own hobbies that I support her in (knitting, spinning and weaving) and in kind return she supports my obsession with fermentation (beer, cheese, pickles and sausage).

If one day she wants to retire to a hobby farm to raise Alpaca and grow hops and brew with me, then we can both grow fat and old and happy together.

Well **** that sounds like the life!

Nice article. It should be noted that the image of the brawny, bearded brewer is a very late development in brewing. Historically most beer through the centuries was brewed by women.

BigEd said:
Nice article. It should be noted that the image of the brawny, bearded brewer is a very late development in brewing. Historically most beer through the centuries was brewed by women.

Back then those ladies were pretty brawny, not sure about bearded...

Am I the only one that picked up a fairly feminist tone to that article?

A good article. I'm genuinely surprised to find out that women aren't supposed to like beer. Here in the PNW, the gender divide at tastings and at my favorite bottle shop (run by a woman, natch) is split right down the middle.

Also an interesting thought--women brewmasters instituting procedures that rely less on brute force are doing the current crop of brute force male brewmasters a favor. One they might not appreciate for another ten or fifteen years, but will appreciate nonetheless. We'll all be benefiting from the longer experience of brewers who don't have to wreck themselves.

Back