Still dont get the diff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I understand Why pin lock kegs are easier to find, and cheaper. Are ball lock kegs that much better, should I pass up on them? Kegs are getting harder and harder to find I understand. Shouldn't I snatch up some pins ? Anyone use pins out there? I want to make a keezer and want to make it soon.

No, ball locks are not that much better. Pin locks are slightly shorter and fatter kegs. Ball locks are slightly taller and skinnier kegs. But the kicker is than pin lock disconnects are taller than ball lock disconnects, so the overall height is pretty much the same. Advantage: ball locks for the skinnier kegs. We're talking about 8.5" diameter vs. 9" diameter, so it's not that much, but depending on your kegerator / keezer it might be very significant.

Pin locks typically don't have a pull tab gas release, which is a nice convenience, but it's not a deal breaker in my opinion.

if you dont have any kegs at the moment, then it doesnt matter to you which you get.

if you already have ball locks, than its easier to use ball locks so you dont have to buy more fittings. same with the reverse.

if space is extremely valuable to you, then you can decide if you want tall/skinny or short/fat like mentioned in the post above. if you dont care about dimensions, then it doesnt matter.

i personally like ball locks due to the pull-ring pressure release valves and floorspace, not height, is more important to me, so i like a tall/skinny keg.

Just seems like people avoid pins like they are bad. So how do you let out pressure?

Ball locks are skinnier. In my freezer I can fit four ball locks but could only fit three pin locks. That's the only reason I went with ball locks.

Just seems like people avoid pins like they are bad. So how do you let out pressure?

You depress the gas poppet. But really, it is such a pain that you should stay away from pin locks, just let me know who is selling them cheap so I can dispose of them properly in my freezer.

You can convert right? Sorry if these are stupid questions I'm new and don't know much yet. I just know it's easier to find pins cheaper

yes, there are vendors out there who sell posts that convert the pin locks to ball locks. You can also add pressure release valves to lids or just buy new/used lids

You can convert right? Sorry if these are stupid questions I'm new and don't know much yet. I just know it's easier to find pins cheaper

If the size of the keg isn't a concern, and you're only trying to keep standard connection types, converting is an options. Might be some nuances in terms of post sizes and poppets and whatnot, but it's definitely possible.

I use MFL connectors on all my lines so I can swap out pin/ball if the need arises. I also put a pair of MFL tailpieces on a sankey tap so I could swap in a commercial keg if needed.

I hope people keep passing on the pin locks... more for me :D

Thats what I am saying, I have been using all Pin locks for years because that is what I could get when I started to keg. I have heard horror stories of people buying ball locks for well over $35 or 40 bucks. Because Pin's are so much more common I have not had to pay over $15 for each of mine. I have been stock piling because I do feel like they will soon be harder to find like ball locks.

Chroamdos

You will be hard-pressed to find any mini-frig that can be converted to use pin-locks. The clearances are so tight with ball-locks there is little chance 2 pin locks would fit.

You will be hard-pressed to find any mini-frig that can be converted to use pin-locks. The clearances are so tight with ball-locks there is little chance 2 pin locks would fit.

I can easily fit 3 into my kegerator.

Kegerator_0062.jpg

Chromados

Back